🔔
🔎

What do you like serve hummus with?

Normally I serve it with homemade pita bread, but I am making it for a party. The guest list is over 45 now, and my pita bread recipe only makes 12 pitas. I'm not sure I'm inclined to make such a large amount of pita bread. How else would you serve the hummus? Veggies? crackers?

asked by Stephanie G over 2 years ago
Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

You could stuff or spread on cucumber shells or rounds. Served with crudites are nice & simple. Maybe make a tzaziki dip as well.

Face

I enjoy it with a thin tortilla chip, preferably blue corn. It must be a thin chip,though. not those heavy thick type.

Wholefoods_user_icon

Baby carrots and sliced red pepper are great additions as well! Add a guacomole dip if you can and you I think you will have a lot of pleased partiers!

Wholefoods_user_icon

one of my favorite crudite vegetables that is often overlooked is the Belgian endive. Great texture and flavor. I love it especially with thr Roasted Red pepper hummus

Farmer's_market

Homemade pita sounds delicious - but understand not wanting to deal making so much. One alternative is sprucing up store bought ones - done this many times to serve with hummus or a cannellini/lemon version I make. Basically just homemade pita chips, but 100X better than the packaged ones: cut pitas in 6-8 wedges, toss with a little olive oil, coarse salt, black pepper and little dried oregano (or thyme or rosemary instead, if you prefer.) Spread pieces on a pan and toast in a 375 oven for 10-15 minutes, until lightly brown. Keeps a couple of days in an airtight container (if you're less lazy than me, you can briefly rewarm before serving.)

I agree with this approach. Storebought is the way to go for your situation, and toasting them yourself (as opposed to the generaly nasty storebought toasted ones) is delicious. I also agree with others who say to put some veggie dippers out as well. I don't mind crackers, such as Ak-maks. Look around for a MidEast store for best quality pita's; sometimes Indian stores carry them too.

Bigpan

I add some Moroccan spice on top as a garnish and serve with warm pita pieces.

The Frozen Naan Bread...sold at a Indian market near me.
I have made it before...but their freezer product is fantastic. Just brush it with Ghee and grill or broil to get some better char grill crisp to it. Perfect. And if I can find that in central Alabama, you shouldn't have a problem.

i LOVE hummus with celery sticks for the texture and taste. I always find hummus to be a bit dense so the celery lightens it up and enhances the flavor.

I love hummus on baked potatoes actually!

I like it with Trader Joe's masala flavored naan. Delish.