Best way to store mushrooms?

I bought mushrooms at the farmers' market, but won't be using them for a couple of days. What's the best way to store them until then?

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Wholefoods_user_icon

They need to breath without drying out or getting too moist. a loosly closed paperbag usually does the trick

Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Is room temperature OK, or should I put the paper bag in the fridge? Thanks!

Chris_in_oslo

I'd put them in the fridge. (And I'm not usually much of a refrigeration person.)

Bigpan

Put them in a paper bag - not plastic - and keep cool or in fridge. Fridge will add a couple days. Best to shop daily for what you need daily.

Scplogoblog

You will notice that mushrooms in the grocery store are displayed in the open refrigeration case--they need to be cool, but not cold. If your kitchen is generally cool and you plan to use your mushrooms within the next day or two, keep them on the counter in a paper bag. If your kitchen is warm or very moist and you're not sure when you will use them, put them in the fridge.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet