🔔
🔎

Roasting tiny potatoes -- should I add parmesan before or after roasting? Or somewhere in between?!

asked by zaccuardi almost 3 years ago
Bigpan

I would suggest grating fresh parmesan on the plate after roasting.

Img__631-1_(1)

if you want the cheese to be browned a little you could sprinkle it on about 5 to 10 minutes or so before they are done. The time though depends on how hot you oven is.

I agree with allans, but with this comment. What do you mean by "Parmesan"? This is used in America to describe that crap in the green box or inferior domestically produced versions of the real thing, parmigiano reggiano, which is a DOC product from Italy. They make cheeses in a similar style here but Parmesan is not the real deal. Neither is a good melting cheese, but yes, for finishing.

I agree. I can't stand DOC products that aren't from Italy. I bet this guy is using some kind of red-skinned potato grown in America. I'm a bit of an electic - I use exclusively La Bonnotte potatoes, but I only eat the ones picked on the third day of their ten-day growing season, and only if they are unearthed (by hand) in the early morning dew by eighteen-year-old maidens who are less than 5' 6" tall and who are wearing simple peasant frocks. I confess that I am some thing of a gastronomic eclectic in combining these pommes de terre francais with frommagio italliano, but I never actually eat them. I just set them on the table and savor the maillardesque irony of their browned sweetness.

Thanks all! Turned out great with your suggestions.

@pierino: I was indeed using reggiano. However, someone unfamiliar with DOC products might have benefited from a less pretentious, more friendly and educational response.