🔎

• 4

• 879

What can I make with fresh foie gras

46648_what_can_i_make_with_fresh_foie_gras
Scplogoblog
Slow Cooked Pittsburgh added about 2 years ago

You can make an awesome beef wellington, but I prefer it more simply. It is easiest to sear correctly if it is slightly frozen and is gorgeous atop a bed of sauteed julienne of cabbage and a mix of mushrooms (scented with thyme). This is a dish I recently learned in Paris and was served along with duck breast (magret, that is, duck that was raised for foie gras). This was a spectacular, though very simple, meal. Honestly, I think that simple is the trick, foie gras is such a special treat that it should be allowed to shine for what it is. (In class we made a simple caramel of sugar and water, poured it onto parchment and cooled it. We then broke it into pieces and stacked the foie gras, the sweetness of the carmalized sugar and the crunch mixed with the fattiness of the foie gras, it was mind blowing.)

Junechamp

How much do you have? My favorite is the traditional roasting of the whole lobe in terrine. The finished product is served cold with condiments. Ooh, now I'm getting hungry!

foodie girl added about 2 years ago

A whole lobe. About 1.5 lbs. do you have suggestion of how to clean and cook?

amysarah added about 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Given some fresh foie gras, my tendency would be not to muck around with it too much. Either do as ChefJune suggests - roast/cooled, served with some toasted brioche slices/condiments; or alternately, cut it into slices, sear them quickly in a very hot pan, and serve warm with some kind of sweet/sour compote or chutney. (Fig, pear, quince, apple, onion, whatever appeals.) But for a serious treat, drink a small glass of sauternes with it - one of those things that's a cliche for a very good reason.