🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Can canned yellow sweet corn be substituted for canned hominy?

asked by LivB over 2 years ago

No, totally different thing. Hominy is made from dried field corn (ie. the non-sweet kind) which has been treated with lye. Completely different flavour and texture, I'm afraid. What are you making and where are you?

Posole and I've never seen canned hominy in Europe, I'll have to search for a Latin store. Thanks though!!

Depending on where you are, you might get lucky with a Latin store. Huge South American population in the UK, so there must be a source for Goya brand stuff somewhere, and even if you don't find canned, you might find it dry, you'll just need to adjust the recipe. I actually made hominy the last time I did posole. Kind of a pain, but then I have a source for dried field corn. I actually had someone grow blue indian corn for me. (I kind of have a farm in Africa...). You might try asking for the corn if you have a farmer's market. The actual process to make it into hominy involves lime, which you might find at a pharmacy/chemist, and can be googled pretty easily.

You might look for it dried rather than canned I have found here that way.