🔎

• 6

• 1022

A question about a recipe: Sicilian Blood Orange Marmalade

I have a question about step 6 on the recipe "Sicilian Blood Orange Marmalade" from dymnyno. It says:

"Put the minced orange pulp,lemon ju and the sugar in a large heavy pot and heat until the sugar is completely melted."

Maybe silly, but do I mince the whole orange, including the peel in this step? I've never tried to make jam, jelly or marmalade before...

Food52_02-07-12-5973
Buddhacat
SKK added about 2 years ago

No peel and no sees, just the pulp.

Knit Mama added about 2 years ago

Thanks, SKK!

dymnyno added about 2 years ago

NO! Use the WHOLE orange, including the peel. After soaking, the peel will be purged of most bitterness. The seeds (there are few) will float to the surface and can be removed.

Buddhacat
SKK added about 2 years ago

Hi dynmnyno, then I made the recipe incorrectly. It was still good. When I try it again I will use peels also. Wasn't clear to me when I read the recipe.

Buddhacat
SKK added about 2 years ago

It turned out more like a jam, not a jelly because I did not do those jelly things. Now I have the distinction marmalade, jam. Never been into jelly.

Sadie_crop
Diana B added about 2 years ago

The peels are where the pectin (for achieving the gel set) is, so your product might not set well if you omit the peel. Besides, it takes peel in order for it to be called a marmalade! Bet the jam is good, too, though, but you'll really see the difference when you make it next time with the peel.