🔎

• 5

• 1800

Fresh tomato puree uses?

We received fresh tomato puree in our CSA box this week and I need to use it tonight. Ideas? It's much thinner than regular/canned tomato puree/sauce (more like broth), it has the seeds but no skins. I'm thinking I'll just use it the way I'd use regular canned puree? thoughts? Great ideas?

Melissa_mitchell
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

You can use it just like you use regular tomato puree -- in pasta sauces, in stews and braises. Also, you could season it with salt and use it as a topping for pizza. If you find it too thin, you can also simmer it to reduce it.

sfmiller added about 2 years ago

Eggs in Purgatory (basically, eggs poached or baked in a spicy tomato sauce) is a quick, simple way to showcase fresh tomato puree. I make it often when the garden's pumping out tomatoes in late summer/early fall.

Here's a recipe, but it's an easy dish to adapt to your tastes and what you've got on hand. I cook the eggs in a covered skillet, and like to add a couple chopped anchovies and capers to the sauce:

http://www.seriouseats...

Bigpan
bigpan added about 2 years ago

I would put some in a glass, add a splash or two of worchestershire and tobassco, a healthy dose of vodka - and call it a fresh bloody mary.

Melissa_mitchell
MTMitchell added about 2 years ago

Great! Thanks! My husband voted spaghetti. I'm adding the bloody Mary. It's been a long week.

Scan0004
susan g added about 2 years ago

And if you need to, it should freeze perfectly.