🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

What wine should I serve with Bo Ssam (Korean pulled pork)? Any side dishes/salads to serve with it?

Hello helpful Food52'ers! I am going to make Momofuku's Bo Ssam this weekend and haven't a clue what kind of wine I should serve! Perhaps a dry white?? And can you recommend a side dish and/or salad to accompany the bo ssam? I was thinking maybe some kind of 'Asian' coleslaw, but am open to any recommendations. Thanks, as always, for your help!

asked by CarlaCooks over 2 years ago
Dsc_0253_2
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

I would be inclined to serve the same wines that you'd normally serve with other asian foods - so yes, probably a zippy and dry Riesling or Gewürztraminer? However, I'm also a big fan of bubbly with everything, so a super dry prosecco could be fun since Bo Ssam is such a party food. Beer would be good, too, of course - an IPA to cut through the fattyness of the pork would be in my glass, I think. Also , yum! Have fun!

Thanks for the recommendations, Miranda! I, too, am a huge fan of bubbly... specifically the kind that's pink and comes in a Moët bottle!
I might serve some beer for 'the boys', but I'm not a beer drinker. One way or the other, we'll have fun and eat well!

While Miranda's advice is spot on, should you prefer red wine....try anything from Beaujolais. And I don't mean that stuff which comes out once a year (blecch). Most are light to medium body with noticeable fruit, which should match well with pork. Also Zinfandel, again NOT THE WHITE STUFF; something with a more peppery character or rich in fruit. Lastly an Aglianico (It's Italian) would complement instead of clash with the vinegar, soy, etc. If all of this sounds like a foreign language, tell your local wine store what I said and they should be able to direct you.
As for the side dishes..... these are what most Koreans would have to accompany the dish (well at least the more traditional ones). Plain white rice, bibb lettuce and kimchi
bibb lettuce, leaves separated, washed and dried

Those are some great suggestions, NeuB! Thanks so much! My problem is that I live in Denmark, where the selection of wine isn't the best and the prices are outrageous (especially for a California girl... where's my $5 bottle of decent chardonnay?!?). I am planning on serving the bo ssam with the recommended rice, bibb lettuce, and different sauces. I am just looking for another side to serve with it all... I'm considering Sagegreen's Asain pear slaw (http://www.food52.com/recipes...) or maybe bitchincamero's spicy mango cucumber slaw (http://www.food52.com/recipes...).

Junechamp

Wines that are high in acid and low in alcohol, with a little residual sweetness are usually best with spicy food. Rieslings from Germany or Alsace and Alsatian Gewurztraminers are our favorites. Demi-sec Vouvrays work well sometimes. We've always been disappointed when we try to pair a red wine with these foods.

Thanks for the recommendations, ChefJune. I think I am going to end up going with a nice white... possibly an Alsacian Riesling or Portugese Vinho Verde.

I like the cucumber kimchee. There's a recipe for them for the pork belly buns but I think they go well with the bo ssam. Crisp and sweet but the rice vinegar gives it a little zing and cuts the fatty pork.

That's a great recommendation, keel. The cucumber kimchee sounds like it would go perfectly with the bo ssam. Thanks so much!

Keel, could you provide me with a link for the pork belly bun and cucumber kimchi recipe? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

Farmer's_market

Reisling would be a good choice. For a slightly more off beat - and usually inexpensive - option, you might want to try a chilled Vinho Verde, from Portugal. It's young, so high in acid, low in alcohol, and fairly fruity - goes well with spicy Asian dishes and I love it in summer with bbq pork ribs and such, so I think it would be happy with the bo ssam. It's light fizz works well with rich, fatty, porky deliciousness.

I didn't even think of vinho verde, amysarah, but that would be great! My husband and I love spending a long weekend in Porto in the summers, sitting by the beach with a bunch of grilled sardine, a nice crisp salad, and of course a bottle of vinho verde. Thanks for the recommendation!

Sorry, it's been a while since I made the cucumber kimchee. It just has salt and sugar not vinegar. Here's a link to the recipe. http://newyork.timeout...

I also like a spicy daikon radish. Here's a link for it (not a Momofuku recipe).

http://www.maangchi.com...

Scan0004

Thanks for the link -- what a great resource!