🔔
🔎

frosting cake

I usually try to frost as close to serving time as possible, but I'd love to have one less thing to worry about. What do you think of frosting the night before and refrigerating (or not refrigerating). I'm making a white cake with a white chocolate ermine frosting. Thanks!

asked by ATG117 over 2 years ago
Dsc_0253_2
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

I've done that many times, and it's never been a problem - save yourself some day-of stress and do it the night before!

I always frost the day before. Just make sure it's covered real well and you won't need to refrigerate.

Oh, definitely ice it the night before, but do refrigerate overnight. There's no need to cover with plastic, as it will only mar the surface of the icing. Even though you've "cooked" the dairy in the icing, it still needs refrigeration. Too, the fluff quality of the icing will degrade much faster at room temp. Sounds lovely!

Thanks all! Need to be more confident in the advanced prep department. I always worry about the cake getting soggy, even though I realize bakeries and caterers must frost in advance.

mai

Definitely frost the might before just bring to
room temp an hour or so before serving..cake tastes better at room temp

Anita_date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Cake is like cheese. Always tastes better with age: specifically, two or even 3-4 days after being made. Prep in advance whenever possible for optimal flavor.