50 FAVORITES UNDER $50 (TALK ABOUT A WIN-WIN). SHOP NOW »

A question about a recipe: Earl Grey and Five Spice Millionaire's Shortbread

1b44b03b 2b8e 427f 9cc0 b525d8f9ae82  earl grey shortbread sm

I have a question about the recipe "Earl Grey and Five Spice Millionaire's Shortbread" from Anitalectric.
In the shortbread part of the recipe it says to cream coconut oil, sugar and vanilla together. Extra Virgin coconut oil at room temp is solid, do you melt it first before you cream, or do it as a solid?

asked by sboulton about 4 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'd assume you cream it solid. When you cream butter and sugar together you don't melt the butter first, so I don't think you'd melt the coconut oil either.

C3863387 682c 4e12 ae44 25dda2eaf9fe  matt kenseth fan party 3

The instructions don't use the term "cream" for blending the sugar, coconut oil and vanilla for the shortbread; however, since it is specific about using the coconut oil at "room temperature", and the creaming process is done with a solid or semi-solid form of shortening with sugar, I would use it in the solid form. As noted by "hardlikearmour", one doesn't melt butter prior to creaming or blending it with sugar (as in making cookie dough).

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Thanks for the answers, they are correct. Ideally, at room temperature the coconut oil is the same consistency as room temperature butter. But if your kitchen is slightly colder (or if you just got it home from the store, which is usually colder than home) the oil might be too hard, so you can use your hand for this step. The heat from your body will help to break up any solid clumps.