A question about a recipe: Coffee Panna Cotta with Cacao Nibs

5473760039_20b54e757a_b

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Coffee Panna Cotta with Cacao Nibs" from artandlemons. It says:
"To make cashew cream: grind 1 cup raw cashews with 1 cup water in a high speed blender until smooth and creamy—save extra to stir into oatmeal or soup."

I know it sounds weird but I don't have a blender and am not sure when I will. Is there something else I can use in place of the cashew cream? Perhaps smooth cashew butter, maybe mixed with some milk? What consistency should this end up being?
Thanks!

asked by Kt4 over 2 years ago
Scan0004

I think you'll do fine with the cashew butter, thinned with water (keeping to the water in the original), similar to the way water is blended with tahini. A strong wire whisk or a spoon will work, adding the liquid slowly.

Have you considered a stick blender? Far most useful than a full blender.

Kt4

Thanks for the idea! I hadn't thought of that. I'll certainly keep it in mind when I'm able to scrape together some funds.

Scan0004

Let's not forget, all our electric tools are recent history. Maybe you don't want to pound your corn when you make tortillas, but people did -- and some still do. I've recently started using the mortar and pestle that I was given over 40 years ago, and find it works well, simply, with barely and clean up. Most of the time I'd rather wash my hands than the food processor. However, I do love it, and the immersion blender too. (Watch for a good buy, or a yard sale or thrift shop. Do you know about freecycle.com? You post what you'd like to get or what you'd like to give away, and very often you find the matching person -- all free.)

Kt4

Oh yeah, I heard of freecycle.com a while back and completely forgot about it. That might be a goldmine where I live now... a university town with people moving in-&-out frequently. I had amassed a wonderful kitchen with lots of multi-use items and a few fun gadgets but had to leave it behind about 1 year ago. I only had enough room to take my most-loved saute pan, a few basic stone oven pans, my favorite knife, and limited cooking utensils. While I look forward to the day when I can have my kitchen back, I find I'm being reminded that it doesn't take much to cook/bake wonderful things when you're surrounded by people who appreciate you :)

Kt4

oops... freecycle.org thank you for the reminder!