Traditional Irish desserts to serve after corn beef and cabbage?

asked by emmers over 2 years ago
1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

Chocolate Guinness Stout Cake with Bailey's Whipped Cream.

Kt4

where do i find that?? sounds delicious!

Good question about dessert... Irish cuisine is not big on it. But wouldn't you rather just have more potatoes?! Colcannon is a great dish to make for the main course: smashed potatoes with sauteed kale or cabbage, scallions or onions. Here's one recipe (from nytimes.com):
http://nyti.ms/zXqOa7
If you have leftover Colcannon, the next morning you can make a revisionist version of "boxty": shape the leftover potatoes into thin patties and use some butter or neutral vegetable oil to sautee lightly in a frying pan. Serve instead of home fries with bacon and eggs.

A clafouti.

Clafoutis is French. Although I do really like it. I have the same problem on the horizon myself as my team is doing an Irish theme for maybe 25 people. I'm responsible for the dessert course. I was thinking about cheesecake (New York Irish anyway) but probably I'll go with a rice pudding.

Oops! You're right- what was I thinking? I comfort myself with the knowledge that it would still be delicious even if inauthentic.

Buddhacat

We are talking about the Irish here - some of my best friends are Irish. They aren't into dessert so much on St. Pat's day because they like dessert drinks, especially Irish coffee with the best Irish whiskey.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

Dessert: Irish Coffee with Jamesons & Bailey's and Whipped Cream.

Kt4

If i can get hold of a good muffin pan, I'm thinking of making Irish Coffee Cupcakes [http://food52.com/recipes...]. That would somewhat fall in line with SKK's answer about having dessert drinks.
Actually, I've been looking for an excuse to try these and St Pat's seems valid enough ;).

Brown bread ice cream!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I am actually trying to stay away from the alcohol desserts and found a recipe for a chocolate potato pound cake that is supposedly a couple hundred years old from a family in Ireland. It looks delicious and if served with some good coffee, hopefully it will be a success! Thanks again for the help!

Smokin_tokyo

Sounds good. Let us know how it turns out.

Emmers, let us know how the pound cake turns out! (I'd be a little suspicious of the historic reference, though. Chocolate was a luxury in Ireland 100 years ago and I'm guessing anyone lucky enough to get it would savor it rather than mix it up with "everyday" potatoes in a bread.) In any case, would love to know how it turns out. Have a great dinner!

Smokin_tokyo

How about Irish Whiskey Truffles from Delia Smith?
http://www.deliaonline...

Although I don't know why she put in the 'autumn' ?

My husband is Irish, though mostly raised here, want to know what we don't eat on St. Patrick's Day? Corned beef. It will be Leg of lamb here, served with mashed potatoes or colcannon, asparagus and soda bread. We will not be mostly drinking beer and whiskey and getting falling down drunk, then having our dessert coffee of Irish coffee. For the record Irish coffee, the drink was concocted here in America ,I believe in a bar in San Francisco, a purely American drink and tradition. As for all these desserts that are laden with alcohol, particularly the whiskey ones, I suspect that they too are more American than Irish. Judging by my husband's Irish family, and the families of other Irish immigrants that we know , the Irish very much like their sweet desserts. Caramel apple cakes seem to be very popular, as is a sort of lemon poppy seed pound cake, the chocolate cake made with mashed potatoes is legitimate recipe, it is sitting in my own card file. As for us we'll be having a family favorite, it is a short bread cookie with a lemon topping poured on top, we call them lemon bars here in a America.

Rhubarb tart is also very popular this time of year

Baci1

Rachel Allen said that a favorite Irish dessert is a baked meringue pie.

Irish coffee

Rachel_and_martha

Baileys Irish Cream Cheesecake with an Irish Butter Shortbread base. Or Irish Whiskey apple tart with a brown bread ice cream

I am Irish and our dessert might be sherry trifle or fruit salad with whipped cream or ice cream or a jam and cream sponge cake or apple pie. Or custard stewed apples or rhubarb. That was my Mother andGrandmother's repertory of desserts

Also bread and butter pudding with custard