🔔
🔎

Leftover grape tomatoes

I bought a large container of grape tomatoes at Costco, ate them all week in salads but have about a pound left. Suggestions for what to do with them if I don't want to eat anymore right now?

asked by pianogirl over 2 years ago
Image

This is one of my favorite things to make with tomatoes:
http://food52.com/recipes...

You could slow roast them. Cut them in half lengthwise, toss in a bowl with a little salt and a drizzle of olive oil. Put on a sheet pan (or better, on a rack set on a sheet pan) cut side up. Bake at 225 or 250 until they're shriveled and there's only a little juice pooling in each half, probably about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. Eat as is, or toss into pasta or put a few on crostini with a smear of ricotta or soft goat cheese. You'll think of something good to do with them. They'll keep refrigerated for at least a week, or you can freeze them. But I doubt they'll last that long.

Or if you'd rather not cook the tomatoes and can stand to eat them now in some form other than raw in salad, try pesto trapanese with grape tomatoes, almonds, garlic, parm, and only a modest amount of basil. Very easy, and a nice change from pesto genovese. Here's Lidia Bastianich's recipe. I usually use more basil than she calls for, and sometimes substitute walnuts for the almonds.

http://lidiasitaly.com...

wow, just made this and it is absolutely delicious !! Thanks for the link

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

I love those orange colored ones. I've got 3/4 of a box left.

I sometimes slice a bunch in half and place in a microwave-safe dish. Nuke for a couple minutes with a healthy drizzle of olive oil and a sliced clove of garlic, s+p, a few basil ribbons, and cook until the tomatoes are soft to your liking. Maybe a dash of red pepper flakes if you're feeling spicy. If you want to eat it right away, toss with some spaghetti, or any pasta, and top with some grated parmigiano. Or just spoon it onto bruschetta for a quick bite. Or freeze the sauce for another time.

Scplogoblog

You could also cook a puree down and add some cream for tomato soup or as a base for veggie soup. You could even make a fresh sauce, process with some basil, a splash of olive oil and a clove of garlic, toss with pasta, as a pizza sauce, this makes a wonderful filling for a pizza quesadilla kind of thing, sandwiched between two tortillas and some melty cheese, toasted in a pan. Tomatoes are endless!

Jamie Oliver has a pretty genius recipe for chicken legs with grape tomatoes and basil. The smell is haunting.
http://www.jamieoliver...

We also had some last week. And and fist full of ground beef, mushroom, and some ravioli.
I really didn't want a heavy cream sauce, or tomato sauce with the pasta.
And just cooked the meat, onions, garlic, mushrooms with the tomatoes cut in half and cooked with olive oil.
Some parsley to garnish and some Parmesan cheese (for me)...and it was a good alternative to a ravioli in sauce.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

If in doubt, freeze them. You won't be able to use them as you would a raw tomato, but you could throw them into a soup or sauce. You could also roast them in a slow oven and serve them over little toasts with goat cheese or ricotta. You might also think about doing a savory clafoutis--an eggy batter tossed with the tomatoes and some herbs and perhaps some parmesan.