How should I use a bottle of undrinkable white wine?

Last night I opened a bottle of Spanish white wine that I really didn't care for. It has a very grapefruity flavor. I won't drink it but I hate to throw it away. How can I use white wine (besides risotto)?

asked by lloreen over 2 years ago
Buddhacat

If it is in the family of sauvignon blanc, you can use it an any white sauce. Or make a wine sauce to put over pork tenderloin or pounded chicken breasts. Mussels in white wine sauce is delicious.

Just be sure that the wine isn't off. If you consider it undrinkable it won't complement anything you are cooking.

Jess-otoole

The wine is going to infuse anything you cook with its flavor (which you don't like), which is kind of a problem. However, you could use it to cook clams or mussels, maybe with a flavorful spice like fennel seed or saffron. You could also use it in a spicy dish with aggressive flavors (hot chiles)...paella or rice with seafood. Or use the wine to poach a side of salmon with herbs like dill and some lemon. I guess the grapefruit flavor is steering me towards seafood. Good luck!

If it's that you don't like the flavor, then your best bet is to not use it at all. Perhaps a friend and you could exchange for one you do like at a later date. If that's not feasible then choose a recipe where other acids come into play that would dilute the flavor. Something with tomatoes ( chicken fricasse) or vinegar (braised chicks w/collards) or tortilla soup (w/added chicken stock)

Bigpan

If you don't like it - toss it !
Using in a sauce will be the same taste you don't like.

Cook it down w/sugar and balsamic & make syrup

Farmer's_market

If it's grapefruit-y, maybe use it to poach fruit? Spices like cinnamon, cloves, star anise, etc. and the sugar or honey, may improve it in that situation.

I don't think the grapefruit taste (typical of sauvingnon blanc) would be too overpowering for mussels or a sauce. Use it soon!

Junechamp

I would steam mussels in it. My favorite is with Dijon Mustard, too. You 'll never taste the wine!

Put a rolled up paper towel in the neck of bottle. Wait about 5 months and if you're lucky you made vinegar.

Photo_squirrel

sam, i think that doesn't work. you need to have a vinegar 'mother' or 'ghost' to make vinegar Iirc.

At least for beaujolais nouveau, it works great. Even with the preservative without the 'mother'.
You do need to open the bottle and let it set opened to pick up some natural yeasts...etc.

If it's a high sugar wine, and left opened with some air in the bottle (like removing a glass or so)..It might pick up some natural yeasts. Then plug it and wait. Nothing risked.
Wine can go 'sour' vinegar for many reasons.

I just finished a bottle of beaujolais nouveau that I opened 1 year ago, and simply let it sit with the paper towel stopper until it magically turned into vinegar. And made some really nice vinegar w/o the mother starter etc..but it was a long wait. It took about 5 months and then it was vinegar.

Photo_squirrel

That's interesting about your BN, sam. I tried it with some good french wine many yrs ago and it never did zip.
sorry for the mis-fact.

I know it works with BN...and that stuff had sulfates as a preservative.

But I think we're both correct here as you just can't tell with the specific wine until you try it.
I also think letting the bottle that has a glass or two removed, unstopped, for a a week or so lets it breath in some natural yeasts, before putting in a cotton ball or towel. But most of it is time and letting the wine do it's thing for quite a few months.
But, for BN that stuff really wants to be Vinegar once you open it and might be more friendly to this idea.

Photo_squirrel

i guess i don't agree with others re its flavor. i have made fondue with white wine i didn't care for and it was fine.
keep in mind that you can cook it down and keep it in the freezer for future reduction sauces. Maybe you'd like to play around with a white sangria , adding fruit and sugar and orange liquer to it. i've only made red sangria but i know some people like white. also, there's be no problem keeping it refrig'd a few wks while you decide how to use it. best of luck.

Monadnock

You could consider using it to make some kind of a white sangria. It already sounds fruity. Add a bottle of sparkling lemonade, a cup of vodka, some slices of orange and maybe some peaches? That's what I would do, anyway, haha.

Back to the vinegar thing. A wine with a grape fruit 'sour' taste could be used for a vinaigrette for a salad dressing. With addition of acid element/oils/herbs/salt. That would work well with as a salad dressing with bitter greens, like Arugula, or spinach. With some sunflower seeds, almonds, green lettuce mix, and feta cheese.