How can I cook carrots to make them taste sweet?

asked by Katiemwilson over 2 years ago
Buddhacat

Roasting carrots brings out the sweetness in them.

Thank you!

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

You can also brush them lightly with honey while roasting.

P1291120

Braising, with canned whole tomatoes. Really, really good.

Cakes

Carrots, a cup or so of chicken stock, salt and pepper, a good knob of butter, and a couple tablespoons of sugar. Cook covered until the liquid is reduced and syrupy. Sprinkle parsley on top. Delicious!

Imag0055

They should taste sweet without any help! But in truth, many supermarket carrots have been hanging around too long and so won't be very good to begin with, thus requiring intervention. They are a cool weather crop, best in the fall when they're storing up sugars for winter storage. Some little fast-growing ones are good in spring, as well.

I've often wondered (and actually once asked, but received no response) why carrots sometimes have an unpleasant carroty taste. I'm not sure how better to describe this taste, but it's not a sweet, pleasant carrot taste. Can this be because of the age you mention--them hanging at supermarket too long. I'm trying to think wheteher I've ever experienced this with carrots from the farmer's market.

Lyd

Steam carrots drain add Brown sugar and

some amoretta liquor little butter cook 5 min yumm

Just add a little orange juice while sautéing.

i learned many years ago that the seetest carrots are grown in california. since then i have compared them with carrots from otdher area and always the california carrot comes out sweeter. make a taste comparison for yourselves and see how true this is. i slice cleaned carrots (1/8") then add them to a saute pan that has a bit of butter melted .then i sprinkle on about 1/2 to1 tsp sugar. add a bit of water to cover the carrots place a parchmennt sheet directly over the carrots and cook till done to taste. remove the paper and slowly reduce the water . mix well and there is a great carrot side dish.

Braise them in a bit of butter and honey.

Farmer's_market

Disclaimer: these are not modern, crunchy carrots; rather, old school grandma carrots. Don't judge - mine ate them this way and lived to be 102.

Peel and slice carrots into chunks; add just enough water to cover and bring to boil; lower heat and simmer until easily pierced by a fork; add a generous knob of butter, enough brown sugar to make them sweet, though not candy-level, a good pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Cook uncovered until the remaining water evaporates and you're left with a syrup lightly coating the carrots. (Sometimes I add a few slices of fresh ginger with the butter - remove before eating - but my grandmother would have looked askance at this newfangled nonsense.)

It may be in my mind, but I truly believe that organic carrots are much sweeter. They just taste so much better I think, no matter how you cook them.