Should I refrigerate tahini? When does it expire

There's no "Refrigerate after opening" warning on the tin (Jovya brand), nor is there an expiration date. Should I refrigerate after opening and how long does it generally last? (I made HadYourTea?'s Spinach and Lemon Hummus and it was great, by the way: http://www.food52.com/recipes...)

asked by molls to the wall over 2 years ago
Wholefoods_user_icon

You can extend the shelf life by a few months keeping it in the fridge, but it may be more challenging to spoon out when it's very cold. I'd give you about 2 weeks in the pantry at room temp.

yes, refrigerate it. I don't see why it should expire any faster than any other nut butter like peanut butter or almond butter. I have kept both of those in the fridge for over a month.

Scan0004

No need to refrigerate, and it lasts a long time. This is a traditional food that came long before modern food storage, from hot climates. As with any other food, do not contaminate it with fingers or utensils used in another food.
This question has been extensively discussed previously on Hotline, and I know there is difference of opinion. I have used it for years and years and never had a hint of rancidity or any other problem. (Use the search, upper right, for Hotline, if you want to see more.)

I always keep my tahini in the fridge. It doesn't get hard or anything. Just stir it well before you use it because it tends to separate. It will last for a long time. I have had some that has lasted for almost a year!