🔎

• 6

• 15709

• See other questions tagged:
    • chicken

Is it safe to use meat tenderizer?

imadok added about 2 years ago

Pineapple, kiwi and papaya are all fabulous meat tenderizers. Most bottled powders are derived from pineapple cores in some fashion, but I personally think sticking to the original is always better. I don't own meat tenderizer since I view it as 'unsafe' and unnecessary, but I don't know any science to back me up. Depending on what you are tenderizing, plain yogurt, buttermilk, or leftover whey are also wonderful for tenderizing.

Scplogoblog
Slow Cooked Pittsburgh added about 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Two great, safe options for meat tenderizing are 1) long, slow, low heat cooking and 2) pounding with a pronged/beveled mallet. I agree with imadok, acidic fruits such as papaya have natural enzymes that break down connective tissue, but unless you are using those fruits for long marinades, my preference is to work with and understand the cut of meat rather than try to change its characteristics.

Baci1
HalfPint added about 2 years ago

Yes, it's safe use meat tenderizer, which is powder form of the enzyme, Papain. In the amounts used for cooking it is safe. It's used in a wide variety of products, http://www.webmd.com/vitamins...

It is only unsafe in large dosages, for example supplements for pain and inflammation.

If you would rather not chance it, vinegar is a good tenderizer as is baking soda.

Baci1
HalfPint added about 2 years ago

Jignesh added 10 months ago

Hello Everyone, Papaya enzyme papain is scientifically safe to use as tenderizer. We manufacture same. Any one can email us on [email protected] to learn or have any query.

Regards,
Jignesh

Jignesh added 8 months ago

Hello Everyone,
After this post, I have received so many emails. Thanks to everyone who have taken interest in knowing something.
I expect to get more queries.

Regards,
Jignesh
Mobile: +919275062166
Email: [email protected]