🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A question about a recipe: Maple Walnut Cream Tart

Food52_04-03-12-2954

I have a question about the recipe "Maple Walnut Cream Tart" from cheese1227. What is and where can you purchase Almond flour and Maple sugar?

asked by Lelebakes over 2 years ago
Kroka_kitchen

I saw maple sugar today at the Whole Foods in my neighborhood. I don't remember seeing it there before. Perhaps it is a seasonal item. I have seen almond flour there as well, off and on.

Scan0004

Almond flour is also called almond meal. If you don't find commercial sources, like Bob's Red Mill, you can made it from whole almonds. There's a good video on food52 which is all you need to know!

Thanks do much!

Trader Joe's also carries it. In the Boston area, T'J.'s is $3.99/lb and the least expensive market has Bob's for $9.99/lb. I just bought both but haven't tried them yet.

Dsc_0048b

Bob's almond meal is made from blanched almonds and is a finer grind. the Trader Joe's product is darker and a little more coarse, as it includes the peels. Depending on what you're making, you might want to choose one type over the other. You can also make either type yourself.

King Arthur online has both if you don't live near a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's

Scan0004

Both mainstream grocery stores and independent health food stores are likely to carry the almond meal. Even discount stores here have Bob's!
As for maple sugar (maple syrup evaporated to much that the sugar granulates), that is more likely to be a regional item. You could probably take real maple syrup and boil it -- carefully -- to make it very very thick, since it doesn't have 'chemistry' in this recipe; it's more for its unique taste.
Please!! everyone, don't think that Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are the only source for natural foods. They are wonderful stores, but the US is full of thousands of small and large markets that are independently owned by people who work very hard to achieve a variety of choices at decent prices, with knowledgable and devoted employees. These are friends and neighbors in your community, another place where buying local makes a difference.