🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

what to use in place of ricotta salata

what can I use in place of ricotta salata in a dough

asked by peach49 over 2 years ago
Wholefoods_user_icon

If you can find Queso Fresco, it'd be a good substitute too.

Dsc00449

Feta is salty, but so is ricotta salata, especially if you're using a traditional one made with sheep's milk. I work in the Specialty Foods department at Whole Foods (with all the fun cheeses) so I get questions like this all the time. Trust me, if you can't find the ricotta salata, feta will work the best. Queso fresco is a good option too. The texture of cottage cheese is completely different than ricotta salata. It will most likely make your dough too wet and sticky, because ricotta salata is a very dry, crumbly cheese, not a wet cheese with large curds like cottage cheese.

If you are concerned about the levels of salt in the dough and the recipe calls for salt additionally, I would add the cheese first, and avoid adding any extra salt to the dough itself. You can always taste it and if it's not salty enough for your preference, add a bit of salt in at the end, or sprinkle it on top. What kind of dough is it, exactly?

Agree with alextillotson! I was going to suggest feta in brine, drained on paper towels for a bit.