TWINKLE FOR YOUR TABLE. SHOP NOW »

Kimchi

Okay, since I moved away from LA I no longer have a choice amongst 20 some different varieties of kimchi at HMart and Marukai. So I've embarked on learning to make my own. And then I came across this in Lucky Peach #2; David Chang's recipe for paechu kimchi calls for 1 heaping tablespoon of brine shrimp. Is this some hipster joke or is he serious? Brine shrimp might be more familiar to you as "sea monkeys". They are also used to feed aquarium fish. This being Lucky Peach I'm not sure if this is a prank recipe.

asked about 4 years ago
8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Pierino, my experience with this question is akin to being in a no win pop quiz. Not willing to pay the price for Lucky Peach, and have lived next door to people who made kimchi all the time I am left with kimchi and smelly. Brine shrimp are the same as bait shrimp to me. Littlest catching bigger and everything smells.

Many people use fish sauce in kimchi and it is more expensive than what we use to feed aquarium fish.

My heritage is german, so was raised on sauerkraut. Kimchi is the same kind of thing except for the smelly fish and when I first had it in Korea, was buried in the ground.

Ee6e1f61 c2e2 48b1 b500 bb90cc2c5b83  itsme

Brine shrimp are a pretty common ingredient in Kimchi, so I would assume this is not a "prank recipe" (do people really post those?)
If you're uncomfortable with the idea, I would recommend some anchovy fish sauce as a suitable substitute.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

For me, kimchi and brine shrimp are two separate items. Perhaps it is because where I live I get the best of all Asian foods. Kimchi for me if mostly spivey cabbage that I mostly chop fine to add as a spice and brined shrimp is quite spicy and I use sparingly as an additive to Asian dishes. Also nice on a cracker as a canapé.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I wonder if the brine shrimp are a shortcut for making it smell like kimchi without the appropriate time for culturing. Mrs. Vongderichtin has a cookbook -- she is Korean, and gives several recipes for it. Compare with others; use the LP recipe but leave the bs out, or use your powers of discovery and history to find the truth...I'm sure you can access many other, authentic, kimchi recipes.

51d6debe 8184 4f26 9614 c25e2aa571c3  p3200173

Yes, I do have that book, THE KIMCHI CHRONICLES. I've been using that in my research as well. Over the last few years I've become kind of obsessed with Korean food and so I've been trying to learn as much as I can. Korean could be the next culinary wave. Once again I'm chasing the zeitgeist.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Dried shrimp are pretty common in Korean cooking, and in various Asian chili pastes, etc. Could that be what Chang is referring to? (I've never seen it referred to as 'brine' shrimp, but maybe it sometimes is?)

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Do you think he may be referring to "salt brined shrimp"? Here's a demo I found of his:
http://www.foodarts.com...

Thanks for this link. I will definitely check this out.

It does appear that "salt brined shrimp" is what I'm looking for and now I know where to find it. What threw me off was that in Lucky Peach he did use the term "brine shrimp" and right away I'm thinking "sea monkeys?" Like from my childhood...

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm not at squemish about eating dried fish (I eat everything). What made me ask the question is that when I searched on line for sources everything I came up with was aquarium supply. Chang's recipe does call for fish sauce as well. But he's the type of chef who just might plant a joke in a hipster publication like Lucky Peach. I guess I'll have to search Korea Town when I'm back down in LA in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile I do have small dried shrimp from Japan so maybe that will work.

C1aa93d7 c7a4 4560 aa6d 6dca74cc98ca  smokin tokyo

The dried ones from Japan are great with other flavors in your okonomiya! But I wouldn't suggest kinchi.

B9464ce6 76f7 41db a563 e5ad504521bf  2016 04 05 23 37 37

Pierino in Momofuku he uses brine shrimp too. I get them at the local Asian grocery. They come in a jar, have liquid and are salted and fermented. Think of them as the starter for your kimchi. I like Chang's recipe very much but also find it sweet. I found another recipe by Georges Vongrichten's wife in her book on Korean food and it is also excellent.

Thanks Tom, your description is ultimately what (with the help of everyone here) I finally figured out was the right answer. Jarred in liquid does make more sense than dried ones. I was indeed curious about what got the fermentation process going. My confusion came from the fact that Chang did use the term brine shrimp in Lucky Peach. I do have Marja Vongrichten's book on hand so I'll look at her recipes as well. There are actually very few books out there on Korean cooking.

07825364 abc5 42f5 bd7f f2a77f00dff0  20090907 jackson 8

I agree with thirschfeld. In his book Momofuku, he talks about jarred salted shrimp as a way to kick-start the fermentation process. He says raw oysters are common, as are squid, shrimp or yellow croaker. He likes to use shrimp because it makes the kimchee sweet. A little goes a long way!
I'd love to know how your kimchee turns out....I am also embarking on a kimchee project this spring.

Chang's kimchi is great, unbelievably good and at all the different stages, or ages, but I like it best young and the kimchi stew is also amazing and really simple if you have everything on hand in the larder or freezer. I agree Pierino there aren't enough Korean cookbooks out there. Maybe they all went up with that ill fated rocket. I think that is about to change seems lots of them are in the pipeline of the publishers from what I am seeing. Personally I can't get enough of good Korean food.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

We tried both the white and red kimchi recipes in Lucky Peach, and they were both very good...after about 2 months in the fridge. However, I was disappointed that his recipes were not fermented (sure, they ferment after being in the fridge for a while, but the process of fermentation is not part of the recipe). If you're familiar with Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz, his kimchi recipe is freaking amazing. Smelly and pungent and wonderful. The process begins with fermentation, and after a few weeks you have a lovely, spicy pickle. His recipes tend to be more free-form (for instance, he basically tells you to put whatever vegetables you want in the kimchi), but if you take that principle and apply it to the usual kimchi ingredients, you'll have something decidedly worth eating.
I found Chang's kimchi to be overly sweet at first, much improved over a few months. Katz's kimchi is still my favorite.

D22e715c 166f 4578 8ad4 1e169fc809ba  ry 400

I made Chang's kimchi a few months ago and couldn't find brine shrimp anywhere down here in South Florida so I used some tiny dried shrimp chopped up. I'm sure it is not the same but it turned out delicious.