🔎

• 6

• 2417

What's the difference between bakers chocolate and regular chocolate?

Merrill

Voted the Best Answer!

Baker's chocolate is just a brand of chocolate -- they make unsweetened, semisweet, bittersweet, white, etc. Usually when people call for "Baker's chocolate" in a recipe they're referring to the unsweetened kind, but not always.

Mirepoix79 added about 2 years ago

So I could use any kind of chocolate if it calls for chocolate?

rt21 added about 2 years ago

I agree with Merrill but use your favorite chocolate

atlacm1 added about 2 years ago

If you're looking for a lot of chocolate flavor, you'll want to use a prepared chocolate with a high percentage of cacoa (80%+). Scharffen Berger chocolate has a 84% Cacao Date Chocolate that's great for baking. I've also used Hershey's Extra Dark for a super rich brownie with success.

Mirepoix79 added about 2 years ago

@altacm1 I'm looking for chocolatie not super sweet out of those you suggest which one would be your pick?

Merrill

I'd use use a bittersweet chocolate (I like Guittard or Scharffen Berger) and decrease the amount of sugar in the recipe a little bit, or just pick a recipe that looks like it calls for less sugar than others.