Is there a way to extract the red color from vegetables similar to the way of extracting chlorophyl?

usually to make green pastas or doughs I extract the chlorophyl by creating a vegetable solution and lightly simmering it till the chlorophyl separates. Im seeking a way to create a red dough without using beets.

asked by brandon over 2 years ago

If you are making pasta dough by hand I would add a puree of carrots and tomato paste to the dough. Adjust the ratio of the two to get the shade of red you want.

I've seen both red and yellow onion skin used as "natural" egg dyes. They are a little more orange than the hue you get with beets, but I suspect redder than carrots would be. (Oddly enough, Red cabbage, which is what I thought of first, is used to dye eggs.. blue.)

Are you by any chance near a market that sells heirloom varieties of carrots? If you can find red carrots, you can purée or juice them and add that to your dough. I actually think that might give you a more reddish tone than beets; in my experience, beets can turn dishes a day-glo pink hue (and I'm guessing you're not trying to make Barbie's Dream Pasta).

Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

You could investigate dehydrating the chosen vegetable and grinding it into a fine powder?

Beet powder is used in this way, though if you wanted to avoid beets you could try it with red pepper, tomatoes, radish, etc.

*I have no idea if this will work with non-beet red vegetables.

Scan0004

Totally by accident, look what I found -- a source of dried vegetable powders! http://www.northbaytrading...
I see other red vegetables too, so maybe this is the way to go.

Uruguay2010_61

Beets . . . we all us it in the organic business to colour products.

Scplogoblog

Dehydration is great but the impact can be subtle and vaired in terms of color. Not sure why you are avoiding beet, but you could cook down raspberry or other red fruits into a thick liquid and use that in conjunction with other liquids/oil. Oh, and how about red wine/port reductions? That could be wonderful in pasta dough!

Photo_squirrel

brandon, would you plse educate me as to what you mean by 'til the chlorophyl separates'? Plse be specific in your details and i do not at all understand this concept/allusion!

perilla- or purple shiso- is used by the japanese to color pickled veggies. you can find it in some US. perennial gardens after June and it gets full height in sept.But it is purpley/maroony, not tomato red.