🔔
🔎

I just finished making vegetable stock and I found a rubber band in the strained veggies. It's a lot of stock- should I risk using it?

asked by Julie,Le over 2 years ago
Hussie-icons_chl

That's SO something that would happen to me! Personally, I would taste the stock and as long and your foreign object didn't effect the flavor, I would keep it. When using homemade stock (we make chicken stock about every 4 months) I always make sure I bring it to a boil anyway. That's just me, maybe I live life on the edge. ;)

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

Unless you think the rubber band came into contact with unsafe chemicals or something before it went into the stock, you're probably okay (at least as far as I know about rubber bands). Taste the stock, though--if it was in there the whole time, your stock might have a bad flavor.

I think it was the rubber band on herbs that I threw in there- unfortunately when I tasted it, it was bitter and a total loss, although the cause could be a lot of things. Thank you!

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

I agree with Pierino. A rubber band is not going to affect your stock at all.