🔎

• 6

• 1052

A question about a recipe: Fresh Sriracha (aka, home made 'Rooster')

What do you suppose the refrigerator life is on this?

08310f52_me_0047
Baci1
HalfPint added almost 2 years ago

I'd say about a month.

Scan0004
susan g added almost 2 years ago

Edamame2003 also says 1 month. At the other end, here's one of the comments on the recipe --

Though the flavor may diminish over time, this recipe contains enough chili and vinegar to prevent it from going bad for a decade if you refrigerate it.

Other commenters have frozen it. With that much vinegar, it should be more than a month, similar to a lot of pickled condiments.

Chris_in_oslo

Really? A month seems awfully short to me--does anyone have another opinion? Or what about the commercial options--how long do you keep them?

Almost forever would be my guess. I've abused Sriracha in more ways than I can count, and it always comes back for more.

Waffle3
ChefOno added almost 2 years ago

What we're discussing here is essentially a quick pickle, un-cured and, most importantly, unpasteurized. The process is about flavor, not about preservation. Huy Fong Sriracha contains both potassium sorbate and sodium bisulfate, preservatives (anti-oxidants) designed to prolong its useful life.

Bacteria under refrigeration:

There are two families of bacteria to be concerned with here, pathogenic, which cause foodborne illness, and spoilage bacteria, which cause deterioration of quality (odors, tastes, and textures).

Of the former type, of primary concern is listeria which multiply at refrigerator temperatures and in acidic conditions. Food quality also deteriorates at refrigerator temperatures.

Remember that pathogenic bacteria aren't detectable by taste or smell. I would treat this like a fresh salad dressing.

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added almost 2 years ago

beyond your lifetime. seriously.