🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

What can I do with 2 bags full of wheat bread crusts (from pb&j) other than croutons

asked by littlebullstudio over 2 years ago

Feed some birds! Seriously, I used to lay crusts out on baking sheets to dry at room temp (lived in a dry climate), then tossed them out on the deck railings for birds. The Stellar's Jays would land on the outside window sills and rap on the kitchen windows with their beaks if I was too slow in putting them out! In our next house, I'd toss them out on top of the wood shed. One of the cats (Rose) would jump up, and anxiously wait for a bird to fly into her mouth. Great fun, especially with young children.

Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Breadcrumbs?
Dry them on a tray for several days until hard and then pulse in a food processor. You can freeze them (or keep them in a well-sealed container at room temp).

You could also cut them into cubes and dry them for bread and butter pudding?

I love the '"feed the birds " idea! My 3 year-old eats crust-less pb&j almost every day and I never thought of this!

Photo_squirrel

kristen and etienne, i bet that if you brushed the bread crust with maple syrup before assembly- that your kid might happily eat the crust?

otherwise,bread pudding or fresh bread crumbs stored in the freezer for future meat or fish or croquette coating. Or make a bread Strata(layers of bread, cheese, veggies, covered with milk egg mixture overnight>> bakes into a souffle like entree or brunch dish. thousands of variations.

LE BEC FIN, it's possible that your maple syrup idea would work, but then again I can't even begin to penetrate the mysteries of the three year-mind. One thing's for sure: the bread crust-phobia runs deep in my child. Fortunately neither the dog nor the mommy are quite so fussy :).

Are the crust slightly coated with PB? and some jam bits.

Bag and freeze them. They could make a great coating for chicken satay. A coating of the bread crumbs after soaking in peanut sauce. Either grilled on skewers. Or used as an addition for pad thai recipe; chicken or shrimp coated with peanut sauce, rolled in the crumbs..fried and 'on hold' while you complete the dish with fried rice noodles and veggies. For the crumbs you'd either have to chop very fine and crumble or use a food processor (the miniprep is a nice multiuse tool for small jobs--about 30 bucks.)

Stuffing.

Etienne_headshot

i love all of these ideas - thank you! these bread crusts were the result of a 3 year old b-day party. oh, and i have a a bag of white bread crusts too.

i have just tossed them with olive oil and toasted them, and my toddler happens to love them as breadsticks -- small, skinny, easy to grip. great for dipping in runny eggs and soup!

i am particularly curious about the strata idea. Le Bec Fin - do you happen to have a recipe?

Photo_squirrel

gosh etienne there are millions. remember- google is your friend!

Photo_squirrel

p.s.there are 15 just on 52 (search box!):

http://www.food52.com/recipe...