🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A question about a recipe: Salmon Papillotes with Red Peppercorns, Lime and Fresh Ginger

010519f_482

Can i...
1. substitute for red peppercorns and siczhuan?
2. can i sub bacon for pancetta?
3. i dont follow the first step about the folding. im a guy, and im not a cook...but even with two degrees i didnt understand the alum foil folding instructions
thanks,

asked by austip02 over 2 years ago
Merrill

Is your question about the red peppercorns?

sorry for not being more specific. i have 3 questions:
2. can i sub bacon for pancetta
thanks,

Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I am with you on the folding instructions - they could use a diagram. Basically what you want to do is create a sealed foil pocket for the fish fillet to steam in the aromas.

I believe the instructions are designed to create a much bigger piece of foil to have all the fish in one packet - but you can also create individual packets. Not sure this is much clearer, but:

- Overlap two large pieces of tinfoil to make one large square.
- Fold the section that is overlapped twice, one inch at a time, and press firmly to create a seal at the overlap.
- When you place the fish in the centre, fold the foil over the fish and crimp around the edges by folding the seams several times.

(Or you can just follow the last step for individual pieces)

Here's video to show the crimping & desired result (ignore the bit about the heart-shaped parchment, that's just overly complicating matters again)

http://www.youtube.com...

Sub for red peppercorns - I'd just use some black or white pepper, but go easy as red peppercorns have a more subtle flavour. And leave the sichuan out entirely.

I didn't see where pancetta was used in the recipe but generally, yes, bacon can be subbed for pancetta.

Thank you for your great answers! Austip02

I find siczhuan a bit too numbing and over powering. I use just a touch of Japaneese. Shansho (sansyo) available at the Japaneese and other Asain market in a little shaker bottle to finish a dish.
It from the same family of tree but with a much less aggressive flavor.