Freezing baked cookies

Malta.food.img_1817

Does anyone know from personal experience if freezing baked cookies is really ok? I read about doing this online but I wondered about ruining texture. I also saw that some people freeze frosted cookies... doesn't this ruin the frosting? I am baking and frosting cookies for my friend's wedding on Friday (they'll be favors) and wondering how I can get as much of it done ahead of time. The recipe is essentially a lemon/butter cookie with orange/almond paste filling (http://globaltableadventure...)

asked by Sasha (Global Table Adventure) over 2 years ago

I freeze baked oatmeal or cry baby cookies (a ginger molasses cookie) and I almost think they are better that way becaus they have that extra crunch. the sugar frosting holds up fine on the cry babies. I am not sure how a more delicate filling would do, though. It is probably worth a try

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

Those look yummy! I agree with lloreen - it's worth a shot. Do a test batch.

Looks like you're using royal icing. I'm pretty sure you can freeze iced cookies successfully. And looks like the filling is baked right into the cookie, so it's technically not a sandwich cookie. I'm guessing they will be fine.

But if you want expert advice, ask One Tough Cookie, who I am certain will have a more precise answer for you. http://onetoughcookienyc...

Good luck!

Img_0788_hsm

Thanks! I appreciate the advice... the real question is if I can ice them nicely enough for her wedding. Thankfully it's rather casual with just 20 attendees, so I'm not *too* deep in over my head :)

Junechamp

I think I'd freeze the cookies uniced and then ice them after thawing.

In my experience, most cookies freeze beautifully.

Blackbottoms_2

I always freeze baked cookies and think they are better that way. I love to eat them not quite defrosted. Put them in zip loc bag. Use a straw to suck out all the air and it will be good. You are a good friend to bake for the wedding. Relax and enjoy!

Img_0788_hsm

I love the idea of using a straw to suck out the air - I never would have thought of that lol.

Bigpan

We always freeze cookies. They only take a few minutes to thaw.

Freeze different types of cookies seperaty as air tight as possible.

Cookies freeze well and when thawed maintain their quality.

Baci1

My friend has always frozen her baked choc chip cookies. They seem to thaw just fine. I've tasted them and honestly can't tell that it was frozen after baking. Like everyone else said, as long as they are wrapped tightly, they should be fine.

Chris_in_oslo

My own feeling is that cookies last pretty well in air-tight containers without freezing. But my mother-in-law always froze cookies, including some with frosting. Over the 30 or 40 years I knew her, it worked just fine.

Me, even if I followed her lead and froze the cookies, I think I'd like ChefJune's idea about icing them later.