🔎

How long does dulce de leche keep?

I just made several big jars of dulce de leche (great way to use up whey, btw). Information varies as to how long it will keep. Up to one month in the fridge, any other experiences? How would I know when it has spoiled?

46a45ad9-247f-48c1-a5a5-1975acc94a0b-12
08270410avatar_messbrasil
mensaque added almost 2 years ago

Keep it in the fridge.If your jars are well sealed the might last for a month but once you start on a jar, end it in 5 to 7 days.If it smells kind of sour or there's water in it,toss it.

46a45ad9-247f-48c1-a5a5-1975acc94a0b-12
MyGardenersTable added almost 2 years ago

Thanks, mensaque. How about freezing it?

Dsc00426
vvvanessa added almost 2 years ago

I press a layer of plastic wrap onto the surface of the dulce de leche before I cover and freeze it. I've kept it for several months and had it turn out just fine.

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added almost 2 years ago

such a high sugar content, and milk content so reduced, i would easily give this a year or 2 frozen shelflife. it would prob last much longer, but the freezer taste might start to show (but then again, it might not show ever!)

Rayya added 12 months ago

hellO!
but how does it keep in the freezer... will it change it's consistency or chemistry at all?