🔔
🔎

How long does dulce de leche keep?

I just made several big jars of dulce de leche (great way to use up whey, btw). Information varies as to how long it will keep. Up to one month in the fridge, any other experiences? How would I know when it has spoiled?

asked by MyGardenersTable over 2 years ago
08270410avatar_messbrasil

Keep it in the fridge.If your jars are well sealed the might last for a month but once you start on a jar, end it in 5 to 7 days.If it smells kind of sour or there's water in it,toss it.

46a45ad9-247f-48c1-a5a5-1975acc94a0b-12

Thanks, mensaque. How about freezing it?

Dsc00426

I press a layer of plastic wrap onto the surface of the dulce de leche before I cover and freeze it. I've kept it for several months and had it turn out just fine.

Photo_squirrel

such a high sugar content, and milk content so reduced, i would easily give this a year or 2 frozen shelflife. it would prob last much longer, but the freezer taste might start to show (but then again, it might not show ever!)

hellO!
but how does it keep in the freezer... will it change it's consistency or chemistry at all?