🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: A Medley of Roasted Potatoes with Homemade Za'atar & Aleppo Pepper

122010f_725

I have a question about the ingredient "Za'atar" on the recipe "A Medley of Roasted Potatoes with Homemade Za'atar & Aleppo Pepper" from onetribegourmet. what is Za'atar and where do you get it?

asked by laurenncoffey over 2 years ago
Baci1

That roasted potato recipe lists the recipe for the za'atar. But if you can't make it yourself, any Meditarranean or Middle Eastern food market will carry their version of za'atar.

Here in Jerusalem -- it's referred to as "thyme", but it's a mixture of thyme and sumac, and depending on who's making it, usually oregano. But -- not always. It's in just about everything, but the 'normal' way of using it is to sprinkle some on a plate next to a pool of olive oil, tear off a piece of whatever (good) bread you're eating, dunk the bread in the olive oil, and then into the za'atar. I'll be leaving here in a couple of months, and while it may be a long while before I crave hummus, tahina and/or za'atar, I never tire of the flavors. Good stuff.

Dsc_0048b

sometimes in the US I see it with sesame seeds, too. Is that unusual?

Dsc_0048b

OK - I just checked the recipe and it has a za'atar recipe embedded in it! It does include sesame seeds.

It is easy to make yourself--it's a spice blend--but Penzey's carries it, in addition to the Middle Eastern stores already suggested.