🔎

• 6

• 805

• See other questions tagged:
    • soup

cioppino

I normally make cioppino and serve immediately. Has anyone experienced any problems having the soup simmer for a few hours, or cooked-cooled-simmered.

Bigpan
inpatskitchen added almost 2 years ago

I think you can prep everything for your stew ahead of time. Just DON"T add the seafood until you re-heat and are ready to serve. Nothing worse than overcooked seafood

zindc added almost 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Make your broth base (onions, garlic, tomatoes, fish stock, wine, aromatic herbs) and let that cook for a good long time. As above, have all of your fish/seafood prepped and ready to go, re-heat your base, and add fish/seafood a la minute.

Bigpan
bigpan added almost 2 years ago

Thanks for that. Since my seafood mix did not include fish but rather squid, octopus, clam, prawn and shrimp, I wanted the squid and octopus to "stew" for a while to tenderize.
It came out nice and tender and tasty.
I recall seeing pots of street cioppino in San Fran. that was simmering for hours - and was just fine ... but over priced.

Smokin_tokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo added almost 2 years ago

Hey Bigpan, any reason the squid and octopus has to tenderize? I always thought the texture and shape were the most interesting things about squid (cute rings) or octopus.

Bigpan
bigpan added almost 2 years ago

Fishermen will always tell you to cook squid and octopus for either under 3 minutes or over 3 hours.

Smokin_tokyo

True, the octopus in the supermarket has been cooked but the squid usually cooks enough as it heats up. So after 3 hours, is it soft? Aslo, I heard that in Spain they boil the octopus with wine corkscrews in the soup. Anyone know the reason for that?