🔔
🔎

cioppino

I normally make cioppino and serve immediately. Has anyone experienced any problems having the soup simmer for a few hours, or cooked-cooled-simmered.

asked by bigpan over 2 years ago

I think you can prep everything for your stew ahead of time. Just DON"T add the seafood until you re-heat and are ready to serve. Nothing worse than overcooked seafood

Bigpan

Thanks for that. Since my seafood mix did not include fish but rather squid, octopus, clam, prawn and shrimp, I wanted the squid and octopus to "stew" for a while to tenderize.
It came out nice and tender and tasty.
I recall seeing pots of street cioppino in San Fran. that was simmering for hours - and was just fine ... but over priced.

Smokin_tokyo

Hey Bigpan, any reason the squid and octopus has to tenderize? I always thought the texture and shape were the most interesting things about squid (cute rings) or octopus.

Bigpan

Fishermen will always tell you to cook squid and octopus for either under 3 minutes or over 3 hours.

Smokin_tokyo

True, the octopus in the supermarket has been cooked but the squid usually cooks enough as it heats up. So after 3 hours, is it soft?

Aslo, I heard that in Spain they boil the octopus with wine corkscrews in the soup. Anyone know the reason for that?