🔎

• 28

• 5012

Any ideas for "classic San Francisco" dishes?

The theme of my cooking club's next meal is "classic San Francisco". The hostess is making cioppino, and I need ideas for a dish to add to the meal. I'm not a bread maker, so I don't think I'm up for making sourdough from scratch (unless someone wants to convince me that it's easier than I think), but could make a dish that uses store bought sourdough in a fun way. Any ideas?

Food54_profile_pic
Sam1148 added over 2 years ago

It's old school. But Chop suey and crab rangoon started in San Francisco.
Maybe a crab rangoon appetizer and rumaki (chicken livers and water chestnuts wrapped with bacon and fried).
Check out some classic trader vic recipes for appetizers.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

A Green Goddess salad! It was developed by the head chef at the Palace Hotel in 1923. Here is some more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I don't have my copy of The Essential New York Times Cookbook handy, but I believe the recipe is in it. Send me a note privately for more info. ;o) P.S. Sounds like such a fun theme!

Sam1148 added over 2 years ago

>A Green Goddess salad.
----------------

I miss green goddess. I might have to whip some up this week. Thanks for the reminder of that dressing.

Scan0004
susan g added over 2 years ago

You can make the legendary "San Francisco treat" from scratch. I believe it started as a family recipe, maybe Lebanese. Should be findable!

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added over 2 years ago

How about Blum's coffee crunch cake: Flo Braker's version. Blum's was an institution in San Francisco; whenever we travlled there, we had to visit Blum's for something sweet.
http://articles.sfgate...
I believe the coffee crunch shouldn't sit on the cake too long before serving, maybe add up to an hour or just before serving.
Or, Irish Coffee. OR both.

Gale added over 2 years ago

hangtown fry -

inpatskitchen added over 2 years ago

Maybe some sourdough croutons in that Green Goddess Salad?

Food54_profile_pic
Ms. T added over 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I may experiment with the green goddess direction, since I think that will go best with our meal, but will definitely save some of these other ideas for another time.

My other thought is to make homemade 'It's It" icecream sandwiches...in which case, you may see another Food Pickle question about how to make oatmeal cookies that will stay soft when frozen...

Oh, yes, the It's It Ice cream sandwiches are so perfect. Think about an oatmeal cookie filled with one of the many ice creams on this site. Any oatmeal cookie recipe would be wonderful, as long as it has enough fat and corn syrup to be relatively soft when frozen. Great project!

nutcakes added over 2 years ago

Flo's Blum's cake rocks, I've made it many times.Cold cracked dungeness crab is another classic starter. Serve it with sourdough! Crab Louis is another. Hopefully someone will make some. It's very easy to incorporate a cup of starter into the very easy 'no-knead' recipe if someone has some or you make or buy it.

The green goddess sounds like good and do-able side or starter. They still serve hangtown fry with oysters at Tadich Grill for 140 years, and I've had the Ciippino there many times.

I wonder how old you mean when you say classic? Blum's isn't pre-1900's

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added over 2 years ago

very true, nutcakes, "classic San Francisco" covers a lot of eras!

Junechamp

Two ideas: General Tso's Chicken also started in San Francisco.

OR, how about making a chocolate dessert with Ghirardelli chocolate? San Francisco is the home of Ghirardelli.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Ms. T, I can send you via the messaging system the Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownie recipe, if you like. It's one of our favorites. ;o)

Junechamp

If you're going with the Ice Cream Sandwiches, these cookies http://www.food52.com/recipes...
stay soft under all conditions.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

ChefJune I love those oatmeal cookies . . . the best oatmeal cookies to emerge from my kitchen, ever. What a great idea, using them for ice cream sandwiches! Thinking rum raisin ice cream here, of course. Or maybe rum/dried sour cherries ice cream. ;o)

Cimg0737
cookinginvictoria added over 2 years ago

What a fun supper club theme. Several years ago Gourmet magazine did a theme issue based around San Francisco recipes and food. If I can find that magazine -- it's buried in a box in our basement -- I'll take a look at it and post some ideas and links.

Yum -- I am going to have to make ChefJune's oatmeal cookies with rum-soaked raisins. Sounds delicious. I just googled the Ghirardelli double chocolate brownie recipe that AJ mentioned. That looks amazing too. AJ, do you use ground chocolate when you make these? The recipe says not to sub cocoa for the ground chocolate. I wonder if it's possible to grind your own chocolate. We can buy Ghirardelli cocoa in Canada, but I've never seen their ground chocolate for sale in stores here.

Ms T, hope that you will report back what you end up making!

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

cookinginvictoria, yes, I do use the ground chocolate . . . here in the SF Bay Area, Ghirardelli Everything is ubiquitous. Send me your address via the messaging system (through my profile) and I'll send you a few containers of it! Actually, if you could get another kind of ground chocolate, it would probably work just as well. Or, ask foodpickle how to substitute cocoa for ground chocolate. With the vast wealth of baking knowledge amongst us, you may just find that (most likely with some fat added) you can use the Ghirardelli cocoa after all. ;o)

Mlt_yogateau_1
mtrelaun added over 2 years ago

As a San Francisco native, I can't tell you how much your answers have made me homesick! In addition to the dishes mentioned above, how about making a mess of Joe's Special or Celery Victor?

131976_555616662884_29300592_32421162_275407_o
moka added over 2 years ago

Cioppino is classic San Francisco, and with sourdough bread--yum! I'm from the Bay Area, and we always had cioppino with sourdough and a spinach salad.

Chris_in_oslo

Thanks for the memories, cookinginvictoria. The Gourmet magazine look at SF was in March 2002. It sits on the bookshelf with my cookbooks. But it did not celebrate the era of sourdough bread, cioppino, and Hangtown fry. Much more current, with a celebration of greens (Monterey Market) and overly opinionated neighbors (Michael Chabon's description of Berkeley). Another place not to look (I thought it might be) is the Williams Sonoma book on San Francisco. I was pretty sure it had a recipe for an It's It, but I was wrong.

Junechamp

mtrelaun: How about a recipe for "Celery Victor?" I love celery, and it's so underused.

Many thanks!

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added over 2 years ago

Oh, yes the Ghirardelli chocolate brownies; I make them all the time-- so easy! (But I make them "single chocolate"). We have family friends we entertain frequently (tho' not nearly as frequently as they invite us). If I don't serve (or bring) those brownies, I may as well be in the doghouse.

Food54_profile_pic
Ms. T added over 2 years ago

Thank you all for the great suggestions! To answer the question posed by nutcakes and creamtea, the theme is deliberately vague because we all like room for interpretation. So it doesn't have to be a recipe from any particular time period, as long as it screams San Francisco.

But I like the idea of doing something a little "old school", so I've committed to the "It's It" ice cream sandwiches. Boulangere and ChefJune, thanks for the suggestions on the oatmeal cookies. ChefJune, that recipe looks amazing and I will definitely try it. But I'm not sure I want raisins for my iceceam sandwich--do you think these cookies would still stay soft when frozen without the rum-soaked raisins? And/or do you think I could do a splash of rum in the dough without the raisins?

Does anyone have tips on how to get a super thin chocolate coating? Do you water the melted chocolate down with a little milk or cream?

Will save all those other great ideas for another time--thanks everyone.

Junechamp

Sorry, Ms. T. it's those rum-soaked raisins that keep the cookies soft! Guess that won't work.

mtreulaun, sign me up for a plate of Joe's Special any day of the week.

Mlt_yogateau_1
mtrelaun added over 2 years ago

@ChefJune: The original Celery Victor is really easy and good (http://bit.ly/nO3L7w) but I prefer the vinaigrette in this updated version: http://epi.us/qMvkjI. Totally agree that celery is underappreciated as a gastronomic lead actor!

Junechamp

Mtrelaun: thanks for the link. Duly copied. Sounds delicious!

Food54_profile_pic
Ms. T added over 2 years ago

Wanted to follow up and let you all know that our San Francisco feast was a success! We had a bay shrimp & celery salad (unfortunately our Green Goddess gal dropped out at the last minute), homemade sourdough bread, an Alice Waters-inspired savory goat cheese souffle, and cioppino chock full of seafood. For dessert, I made gussied-up "It's It" ice cream sandwiches with oatmeal molasses spice cookies and vanilla bean ice cream, dipped in Mexican chocolate. They were a big hit! The recipe is on my blog: http://stillsimmering.wordpress...

Thanks again for all the creative suggestions--I'm saving them for another time!