🔔
🔎

Leftover Turkey: While we don't want the bird to go to waste, we do prefer that too much not go to waist.

I roasted a turkey and need some ideas as what others favor for leftover turkey. We are a family of two and our only dietary restriction in that we are calorie conscious.

asked by TandA over 2 years ago

Unfortunately turkey is the most boring member of the poultry family. An old school favorite is Turkey Tetrazzini which goes back to San Francisco and named in honor of a visiting opera singer. There are plenty of recipes. Look for one that matches your calorie threshold.

P1291120

I disagree on turkey being most boring -- it is really a blank canvas SCREAMING for attention. So, go in some odd but delightful ways -- one of our family favorites is to shred the meat, reheat with spices (typically, a little sauteed onion, and taco type seasonings) and use in place of shredded meat in tacos, burritos, ... or, shred, reheat with your favorite BBQ sauce and make "pulled turkey" sandwiches. Of course, there's always turkey soup or turkey tetrazzini or turkey a la king but remembering that it is a pretty inoffensive flavor and can easily be enhanced with appropriate spices and you can go in whole new directions! :)

Me_in_munich_with_fish

Turkey banh mi! A turkey sandwich on a baguette with a little mayo, shredded pickled carrot, cucumber, daikon radish, and cilantro.

Dsc_0048b

there was a contest on just this subject a couple of years ago: http://www.food52.com/contests...

I have made lastnightsdinner's pozole which is delicious and I have had winnieab's pho and aargersi's jambalaya on my list since then!

I had a great salad at Birdbath Bakery in NYC the other day -- it used chicken but turkey would be just as good if not better. It was a salad of what I rememeber to be radicchio and watercress (i think watercress, could be just about any green),and a just a few chickpeas, tossed in a lemon vinaigrette. Birdbath topped it with very very thin slices of chicken (turkey) that was sprinkled with balsamic and finished with shaved pieces of grana padano. SO good I can't stop thinking about it!

WinnieAB's pho is really good. My husband asks for it about once a week in the winter. http://www.food52.com/recipes...

google "carribbean turkey soup" for a recipe we like alot.