A question about a recipe: Late Night Coffee Brined Chicken

042611f_632

I have a question about the recipe "Late Night Coffee Brined Chicken " from gingerroot. The recipe calls for 3 ounces salt (kosher, I believe). Could someone provide a conversion to a dry measurement? Grazie, lorenaz

asked by Lorenza over 2 years ago
Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

For something like this, the easiest way to figure it out is just to assume weight & volume are the same.

4 oz is 1/2 a cup so you are probably looking at around 1/3 cup.

Scan0004

Actually, this is a good example of how dry volume measures are not the same as ounces by weight. From finecooking.com --
2 ounces of Morton salt is exactly 1/4 cup, but 2 ounces of Diamond Crystal overflows an identical measuring cup. That 2 ounces actually fills a 1/2 cup measure perfectly. Why? Because Morton’s crystals are denser than Diamond Crystal’s.
Depending on brand, 3 ounces (by weight) of Morton's Kosher salt equals 3/8 cup = 6 tablespoons; for Diamond brand, 3 ounces 3/4 cup = 12 tablespoons.

Sarah_chef
Reiney

To clarify, I wasn't saying that volume & weight were the same - but for brining a chicken, this is a good way to approximate it.

Buddhacat

Hi Lorenzo, if I understand your question correctly you want a dry measurement. So 1 ounce = 28 grams. 28 x 3 is 84 grams. And gingerroot's recipe is wonderful!