🔎

expired Certo--any uses?

With the good intention of making batches and batches of p√Ęte de fruits, I bought several boxes of Certo a couple of years ago. I now have 3 leftover boxes which expired in January 2011. Is it possible that they're still good, and is there anything I can use them for besides jelly or jam?

Noz_photo
nzle added almost 2 years ago

It would be such a shame to use them and have them not gel correctly -- you might want to toss them and not risk it!

Sarah_chef

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I'd say it's possible they're still good. But before ruining a large batch I would test it on a small amount and see what happens.

Scan0004
susan g added almost 2 years ago

Can you contact the manufacturer?

Waffle3
ChefOno added almost 2 years ago

Pectin loses effectiveness over time. You might want to look at it this way: How much does new pectin cost? How much is a batch of fruit worth?

Waffle3
ChefOno added almost 2 years ago

(That's how I would decide.)

Imag0055
mainecook61 added almost 2 years ago

I'd pitch it. The best jellies and jams have no need for Certo in the first place. I make my own jams and jellies and I never use the stuff.

Chris_in_oslo

Ditto, mainecook61. I stopped using Certo decades ago and haven't looked back. Recipes with Certo call for even more sugar than the ones without.