red quinoa

Why is red quinoa more expensive than the white variety? I do like the color sometimes, but this also got me wondering whether there were any differences between the two, beyond their appearance.

asked by ATG117 over 2 years ago

I usually find them to be priced about the same especially if you buy white, red, or black from the bulk bins. But scarcity also always affects price. The flavors are subtly different. I think the red and black varieties make for better presentation. Just don't overcook them.

According to Eden Foods, red quinoa is an ancient grain variety grown in small Andean plots above 12,500 feet. It was considered rare and was eaten by the ruling classes, not the common people. Red quinoa is slightly heartier tasting than the more typical variety and because of careful growing practices, it has had its genetic uniqueness preserved.

Based on my trip to the grocery today I suspect they cost about the same. red just takes longer to cook/.

In my experience (Mid-Atlantic), red and black quinoa are definitely more expensive--comparable to farro being more expensive than wheat.