🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Wedding Tiramisu in August

I am making tiramisu for a friend's outdoor wedding in early August. I was wondering if anyone has used meringue powder in place of egg whites in a tiramisu filling, as well as pastry cream instead of whipping cream. My hope is that by switching these two ingredients the mascarpone filling will be a bit more stable in the assumed heat. Any suggestions/thoughts?

asked by KaffeeAndKuchen over 2 years ago
Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

A word of caution: I'd be equally concerned with food safety as stability. In particular, pastry cream in the heat is as much of a food danger as mayonnaise or leftover rice. To keep that food-safe, you have to keep it chilled (so you might as well make the recipe as you would ordinarily).

An alternative might be to make a tiramisu-inspired dessert - i.e. take the components of marscapone, coffee, marsala, cream, sponge and make a cake of some sort?

I agree with Sarah on both points of food safety and make a tiramisu-like cake instead. Cooked cream and such will be safer than uncooked. I've made a variation for a friend's bridal shower making a cake filled with whipped ganache flavored with a few drops of coffee extract and drizzled with more ganache... My friend is a chocoholic, btw. I garnished it with chocolate-covered strawberries. It survived the 100 degree heat and 90% humidity.

If you prepare the Tiramisu in a 2" hotel pan, that pan can then be placed in a 4" or 6" hotel pan that is filled part way w/ice and covered. (A chaffing dish can be rented) Also to stabilize your sabayon you could add a small packet of plain gelatin to it.