🔎

Freezing focaccia

I've got a beautiful double batch of focaccia dough rising on my counter. Is it best to freeze the dough off before or after baking, if I only need one pan of it today?

Open-uri.13930
chefsusie added almost 2 years ago

I make foccacia quite frequently. As it is quite a damp dough I would be inclined to freeze after baking. I think the moisture may be an issue.

Cumberland_pass_atv_trip_-_july_20__2013_019
JanetFL added almost 2 years ago

I would freeze it before baking. I've also had it frozen after baking and thought the texture was not as good.

Sarah_chef

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Voted the Best Answer!

I'd suggest the best thing to do is to punch 1/2 the dough back now, shape into a tight ball and freeze. When you're ready to bake the new batch, defrost slowly in the fridge over 8 hours or so (to overnight) and proceed from there.

You can freeze post-baking but the crispy oily loveliness from foccacia just won't come through as well.

Gator_cake

I'm wondering if you could par-bake it, then freeze it and finish baking it later....

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

Either way would work, but personally, I would freeze the dough before baking. But if you don't mind reheated bread, then go for it! I freeze leftover pizza all the time. Reheating it on a very hot pizza stone perks it up nicely.

I vote with HLA. I've had many years of good luck par-baking it (remove from the oven at the halfway point, cool) then freezing. Thaw overnight under refrigeration, replace on a sheet pan, add a bit more olive oil, though not a lot, and finish baking.

Bigpan
bigpan added almost 2 years ago

I agree to freeze the dough rather than the final product - but I urge all to invest in a vacuum packer. Freeze the dough first, THEN vacuum pack. Use this method for all vacuum pack frozen items.