🔎

• 17

• 18823

• See other questions tagged:
    • cake

What is the best ingredient for a MOIST cake? The cake is going to be vanilla. I've heard applesauce or diet coke?

Image

Applesauce does make a cake moist, but also unpleasantly sticky. (When my daughter was in high school, we actually did an experiment for her science class that demonstrated this. ) I can't even imagine what diet coke will do, but I know that artificial sweeteners get bitter when heated. Shirley Corriher (Bakewise) says that oil makes cakes moist because it coats the proteins in the flour and prevents them from absorbing liquid in the batter and making gluten. So you could substitute some neutral oil for part of the butter in the recipe, or use a recipe that has oil as the fat instead of butter. Also, once you add the flour to the wet ingredients, don't over mix the batter. That will keep the cake from developing gluten and getting tough. I hope your cake turns out delicious.

Dsc_0002_2
threefresheggs added almost 2 years ago

N. 1 – don't over cook!
N. 2 – if, like me, the idea of using anything other than butter depresses you greatly, use extra! Extra butter will make a cake more dense, but if it is a rustic cake or low-flour, that won't matter. If you are looking for lightness & rise 50% more butter might be too much.

Summer of Eggplant added almost 2 years ago

I find using vegetable oil makes a moist cake.

lovesitc added almost 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Maybe I spent too much time living in the midwest, but we added a box of instant pudding to our cake batters to make them moist and delish.

Ophelia added almost 2 years ago

You can add a Tablespoon of corn syrup or Hersey's Chocolate syrup (which is basically just chocolate flavored corn syrup), that always seems to make a difference for my cakes. Honey might work too, it's high in fructose as well. I'm not sure why this works, but it's always worked for me (added chocolate syrup to a depression cake about 5 years ago and was amazed by the difference, have experimented since).
Otherwise replace some of the butter with oil.
Or do what people used to do and moisten your cake with syrup (with or without spirits) or melted jam or jelly between the layers and before frosting.

0605111238
Raquelita added almost 2 years ago

I love yogurt in my cake--adds tenderness and I think it adds moisture--so if the recipe calls for milk i'll substitute yogurt.

Jennifer,Pappadouplos added almost 2 years ago

Awesome, thank you so much!!!

P1291120
SeaJambon added almost 2 years ago

A little bit of mayonnaise

Dsc01280
Gibson2011 added almost 2 years ago

One of my favorite chocolate cakes has pudding and mayo (in addition to a few eggs). It's even better the next day.

Lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby added almost 2 years ago

cream of coconut (coco lopez) makes the cake VERY moist...so moist, it will "fall" in the center

Meg_b_f52
meganvt01 added almost 2 years ago

I just made Ina Garten's Beatty's Chocolate Cake and the main liquid was buttermilk - it was the moistest cake I have ever made so you may want to give that a try.

Pic_11_11_01_crop
zahavah added almost 2 years ago

Make a yogurt cake, for example: http://koshercamembert...

Pic_11_11_01_crop
zahavah added almost 2 years ago

103_bright Add your answer here

AngelAnn added almost 2 years ago

Buttermilk always works for me. I usually substitute some of the milk with buttermilk.

PMarie added over 1 year ago

use clarified butter in preference to oil

PMarie added over 1 year ago

Image083
Cinnamin added about 1 year ago

I have been adding warm milk to my basic vanilla cakes- I findvthat the warmer the milk,
the moister the crumb.