Purchased Steamed Buns OK?

I've seen a lot of recipes that suggest purchasing pre-made steamed buns. I have had mixed success with my homemade buns - so I thought I'd try the pre-made but I have to go a ways to find an Asian market. Has anyone tried the pre-made buns (frozen) and are they any good? Thanks.

asked by meganvt01 about 2 years ago
Noz_photo

Steamed buns fall in the category of prepared foods that it's totally okay to buy, like ketchup and Hellmann's mayonnaise and hamburger buns.

Making them yourself sometimes is a fun project, but the storebought product is totally comparable in quality. I know many Asian families that always buy the storebought product, which makes me feel better about doing it myself!

i live about 2-3 hours away from a chinese community. so when i go into the big city i always go to a dim sum place and buy one dozen steamed buns. when i get home i put them in the freezer and enjoy them. trouble is we always finish the stash before it is time to make a return trip. but, to answer your question it is a good way to have your buns and eat them