🔔
🔎

molasses in but not taking over a cookie

How might i incorporate some molasses flavor (or even dark honey) into a soft, chewy cookie without it being a molasses spice cookie? If I took such a recipe and reduced the molasses, what should I add or change accordingly? I think it adds acid or alkalinity which affects the leavening, right? I hope to develop a soft, chewy, complex, not-too-sweet cookie with some dried fruit and nuts incorporated.

asked by Raquelita over 2 years ago

I substitute sorghum in place of molasses when cooking. Sorghum has a more delicate taste than molasses, and it's delicious right out of the jar. I like the Dry Bones cookies, which use sorghum and have almonds and dried/candied peel, but they are a very crispy cookie.

Gator_cake

Another option would be to take a chewy sugar cookie recipe and replace all the sugar with dark brown sugar for a hint of molasses flavor. Leave the leavener alone for your first batch, you may get just a subtle tang from the molasses in the brown sugar which would add to the complexity. I'd probably start with mrslarkins winning chewy sugar cookie recipe http://www.food52.com/recipes...

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

I sometimes add 2 tsp molasses to my chewy oatmeal cookies. It makes them a little darker in color, richer in flavor, and doesn't diminish the chewiness. Might not add enough molasses flavor for you, though.

I've been making my own brown sugar by adding molasses to white sugar. I use it in ghirardelli's clementine oatmeal choc chip cookies. (minus the cinnamon) it makes the super moist. I add about 2 tablespoons per cup of sugar. Just mix until it looks good.