🔔
🔎

Best way to dress raw tomatos?

Here in the Bay Area, we have an amazing variety available in the summer months at farmer's markets and even at the grocery store, heirlooms of all colors, but always debate with how to top them for fear of ruining a $5 tomato or even not making the best of it.

Oil? Olive Oil? Fresh basil? Sea salt? Flake salt? Pepper? Vinegar? Lemon juice?
How do you like to dress yours?

asked by Cookie16 over 2 years ago
Dsc_0028

My friend Amy swears by a simple method she learned for dressing fresh tomatoes. She slices them up, then does a fine mince of fresh basil and salt on the cutting board. She tops the tomatoes with that, nothing more. Delicious and guests always ask her what makes them taste so good!

If you have exceptional tomatoes all you need is a little sea salt, freshly ground pepper and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. I'm patiently waiting for my tomatoes to ripen in the garden!

Having trouble posting the link directly, but Food and Wine Magazine has a recipe for Green Tomatoes With Pistachio Relish (that's the exact name, if you want to google it) that is both visually beautiful and DELICIOUS. It's one of my favorite summer apps to serve, and is always a big hit when I do. Works with any kind of tomato, of course.

Thanks! I'll look it up. Always up for something new.

I found it, thank you!

http://www.foodandwine...

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

I'm partial to olive oil, a little sea salt, and a dash each of balsamic vinegar and sherry.

Smokin_tokyo

Cookie16, Thank you for sharing that link. Also in the same article had a Green Zebra jam--gotta get cooking...