Valid in US Only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. Free shipping valid through 11/30 at 11:59pm EST. Removal of sales tax valid through 11/28 at 11:59pm EST.
🔕 🔔

chicken main dishes for a dinner party

I will be hosting a dinner party. I'm looking to serve chicken as a main and hope to prepare some delicious, seasonal sides. I haven't planned those yet, as I'm waiting to settle on this dish--always hard for me when I'm cooking meat, because I'm a veg. Thinking chicken breasts with the skin on or maybe a stuffed chicken roll, but not tied to either of those ideas. Any trustworthy and dinner party worthy suggestions are welcome. I'd like something relatively easy and appropriate for the warm weather. And if you have any outstanding summer sides, I'd love to hear about those too.

asked by ATG117 over 3 years ago

When cooking for a larger group I prefer to use chicken thighs rather than breasts They are inexpensive and easier to portion. This past weekend I had to prepare dinner for 15. I based the main course on a Suzane Goin recipe for "Devil's Thighs" which she adapted from Julia Child and I adapted from Suzanne. See "Sunday Suppers at Luques". These are best marinaded overnight, and I think actually could be served cold like fried chicken if necessary.

So funny you should say this about Suzane Goin's recipe. Just pulled it from smitten kitchen and was thinking it may just be the perfect thing. Thanks!

I love this dish, but Suzanne includes it in the "winter" section of her book, and I think of it as a wintry dish, as well.

This is one of my favorite chicken dishes for a dinner party -- and if you have a kitchen/great room set up in your home, it can be quite a spectacular presentation.

That is a stunning recipe, but iirc, it has many steps. It is dinner party worthy for sure

Here's a recipe Merrill posted early on, which I tried within a few days after she posted it, for a last-minute, small dinner party:

It's excellent! It holds well, it's flavorful and moist, and the artichokes and sausages provide nice, unexpected treats. I highly recommend this recipe.

I've since taken those flavors/ingredients and adapted the recipe to use with a braised spatchcocked bird. I add a fistful of fresh herbs -- generally, parsley and marjoram or Italian oregano, which is like a cross between Greek oregano and marjoram. It's one of my younger son's favorite dishes. I'll be making it tonight, in fact!! ;o)

Thank you! I love the sound of this.

We also almost always use thighs, marinating overnight, and grilling a good while. We either do an asiany version with onion, cilantro, soy, mirin, chili garlic and apricot jam or a mexican version with achiote, orange juice, onion, garlic, cilantro. Both can be done ahead of time and chopped and served with an assemble-it-yourself spread...either a big chopped salad or tacos.

sexyLAMBCHOPx is a trusted home cook.

I love chicken breasts, heres one from the site thats company worthy & complements most sides.

Martha Stewart has a recipe for sweet and sticky drumsticks which I have adapted in the past for chicken thighs and breasts. You make a marinade from red wine, brown sugar, soy, ginger and garlic and then slow-grill them for a moist, finger licking result. They key is scoring the raw chicken to the bone so the marinade seeps all the way through. It's not the fanciest dish but every time I've made them they've been hugely successful.

Ina Garten's recipe for lemony chicken breast would be a great summer entree. I sent this recipe to my mom when she asked for advice on a new and easy way to use chicken breast, and she gave it two thumbs up. Easy and few ingredients. (photo below taken from google images)

I like this recipe for "birthday chicken" by Clothilde of Chocolate and Zucchini: