Music you need when you are cooking

What are you listening to? For me it's the Danger Mouse, Danielle Luppi collaboration featuring Jack White and Norah Jones; "Rome". Recorded in Rome using musicians who used to work with Ennio Morricone. It's basically a spaghetti western soundtrack without the western. Other times it's Manu Chao (when I REALLY need to get amped up) or my LA Homies, Los Lobos.

What music do you cook with? Anyone who say's Kenny G or Stevie Nicks immediately get's their house toilet papered.

asked about 2 years ago
Me_in_munich_with_fish

Hear hear!
Depends on my mood. Pensive and doing detail work--icing a cake or doing veggie prep--I might choose Gillian Welch or even Fleet Foxes, but when I'm hitting it hard it's Amon Tobin, Aphex Twin, and perhaps the Black Keys. I do have Nina Simone phases, too. How could you not?

I do really like the Black Keys. Especially in the car.

Cumberland_pass_atv_trip_-_july_20__2013_019

Great topic! I am a child of the sixties - give me the Beatles, Rolling Stones, the Doors (oh yes, Jim Morrison!) the Doors....did I already say that?....

Dsc00859_2

Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven.

Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

It's, uh, possible my prep work speeds up considerably with a bit of Missy Elliott.

I'll go maybe with Elliot Smith (great song writer) who died of self inflicted homicide. "Between the Bars" is a spectacularly beautiful song.

110

Not sure if this helps, but the last time I woke up in an operating room they were playing Bobby Dylan.

110

I recall, now, the we were just a pawn in their game.

Lately Neil Young Radio on Pandora has been scratching some deep nostalgic itch that works perfectly for me in the kitchen. But sorry, Pierino, "Landslide" came on once on that station and I'm not afraid to admit I enjoyed hearing it (but OK, it's probably the only Stevie Nicks song I would have enjoyed hearing).

Dsc00859_2

Off topic, but Paganini or similar violin riffs during a root canal can be really hilarious. Ask me how I know.

creamtea, I can absolutely understand why. Somehow Dubussey wouldn't work for a root canal.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

Right now, I'm making cookies and getting ready to braise roast a chicken to Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, and St. Vincent. Pork dumplings or gnocchi beg for Amon Tobin, Infected Mushroom, Ghostland Observatory, or Ozzy Osbourne. Beer Bread is Of Monsters and Men all the way. Pasta needs Puccini. Soup, quiche, or puddings usually require Édith Piaf. If I'm experimenting and I don't know whether it's going to turn out edible, I'll need School of Seven Bells, Simon and Garfunkel, Fleet Foxes, or Ella Fitzgerald. Stew with Bob Dylan. I wash dishes to the Beatles.

Are we talking about cooking, or cooking?

Bollocks! Sorry, keep forgetting one can't edit a post. "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" on NPR.

NPR for me too, or my ipod, or I'll put on a favorite old dvd I've watched a million times--one I don't have to watch but can enjoy the dialogue.

How could I forget the Velvet Underground? Especially "Sunday Morning" while you are making breakfast. Or, "I'm Waiting for the Man" when your newspaper is late. "First thing you learn is that you've always got to wait."

Bigpan

I usually use music of the country I am cooking. For Italian I will go with Pavoratti etc., French perhaps some baroque classical or "cafe'" music. Portugese cataplana would be fado music. For burgers I would go with E street band. Crawfish means Trombone Shorty and Preservation Hall. Etc..
Too many recipes, too much music to pick from. Jazz works for me for any meal. I find it easy to make an iTunes playlist for each occasion and let it run for a few hours.

Right now I'm cooking my way to a healed heart so I listen to Florence and the Machine "Dog Days Are Over" REAL LOUD!!!! wooden spoon a-waving, hips a swaying, and grinning until I can't stand it anymore. I think I'm almost there....

Beyondcelery, I'm with you with ESATMZ. The new album especially is such good summer music. We tend to play a random mix of starred favorites on spotify which run the gamut from my indie bands to obscure 60s songs (thanks to XMU's blog radio) to classic rock. Today was all Tool and Puscifer because we had things to get done and that'll do it. Last week I revisited the duchess and the duke for a few days , Alabama Shakes, heartless bastards...aw heck, here's my playlist : http://open.spotify.com....

Smokin_tokyo

I was hoping to see your playlist, but couldn't access it.

The url includes the last period for some reason- so you have to remove it.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

@savorthis: Alabama Shakes, nice! I love eclectic playlists. Sounds like you and I are already music friends.

I catch up on podcasts. The Splendid Table, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, KCRW's Good Food, Le Show, This American Life, to name a few.

Smokin_tokyo

HAHA, love that you all need music. I usually use for cleanup, motivates me. One of my first kitchens was the size of a closet, but above the sink was my boom box.

(But the dishwasher--a small box-- was on TOP of a full size fridge, had to stand on a chair to fill it.) But music, necessary....

Thank you pierino-- excellent suggestions to fill gaps in my playlists!

2010-09-15_14.22.07

NPR, especially This American Life, The Splendid Table, Car Talk, or a favorite choral opus -- Bach's B Minor Mass, Mozart Requiem; Dixie Chicks. Oh, and absolute silence is sometimes the very best.

I like radio journalism too (NPR) while cooking because there's nothing more painful than trying to chop or dice to the wrong tempo. Oh, so painful.

Jazz seems to be easiest. Heard a great piece on NPR recently with Linda Oh, a jazz bassist. Beautiful talent. http://n.pr/MMuWil

20130914_from_jay

Motown. Just Motown. It's impossible to be unhappy.

Junechamp

Most of the time I cook to Jazz. Joe Williams' music is my all-time favorite, but the rotation includes Russell Malone, Ron Carter, Count Basie Orchestra, Diana Krall, Carmen McRae, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Sonny Rollins, Dexter Gordon, Eddie Johnson and other assorted artists.

Being a horn player myself, (I do play Jazz) I occasionally prefer a little Wagner, or the concerti of Gliere or R. Strauss... maybe a Brahms symphony. You get the idea. ;)

ChefJune, shouldn't there be a Mingus among us? And of course Monk.

Cannonball Adderly, Charlie Parker, Miles

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Giants Baseball, A's Baseball, Sunday Night Baseball (or any other ESPN nationally televised baseball) in that order, usually. And whichever pre-game or post-game show is most interesting, which means anything hosted by Marty Lurie, always, instead of whatever else might be on. And of course I listen to the All-Star Game and all post-season play. When it's not baseball season, I listen to whatever live sports are being broadcast, with hockey always preferred over basketball, and with the clarification that car racing is not a sport. (Please don't tell my brother that I just said that.) And I love listening to radio broadcasts of professional golf events. In fact, I prefer radio to TV for all sports. But I'm very interested in this thread, as my taste in music tends to be classical, with a heavy emphasis on the piano works I studied years ago, which are close to my heart. So you all are giving me ideas for so much to explore. Thank you! ;o)

Dsc00859_2

I agree about piano, or, f piano + strings: best combination ever.

Img_0836-001_(1)
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

MOTOWN!

Yes, me too! "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" always has me dancing at the stove.

80s Pop/Rock are usually my go-to tunes while cooking.

Like maybe Talking Heads? I did once have dinner two tables away from David Byrne. "This ain't no party, this ain't no disco...ain't got time for that now."

Dsc00859_2

Pierino you are just too funny. I can't keep away from this thread.

Cakes

John Lee Hooker, Teddy Pendergrass, Old Philly groups produced by Gamble and Huff! And musicians influenced by them - Boz Scaggs, etc.

"People all over the world, start a love train, love train..."

On a city theme, the Chicago sound---and I don't mean the band Chicago. But like, Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions.

New Orleans; too many to name.

Cakes

Yes to Curtis Mayfield. As anti toilet paper as they come.

Junechamp

....."she was a Gypsy Woman..."

Open-uri.13930

I listen to AC/DC, Eminem, ZZ Topp, P!nk, Weezer, CCR, Maroon 5, Robbie Williams and some George Strait . It doesn't hurt for me to toss in some 80's music either. (Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Spin Doctors) I prefer fast-paced music...keeps me going!

Chefsusie there is a delivery of toilet paper headed to your house. Look out. You clinched it with Fleetwood Mac but AC/DC was almost enough to get you there by itself.

Open-uri.13930

I specifically noted fleetwood Mac as you noted Stevie nicks. Lol. I will be waiting for the tp..does it come with a remodeled bathroom? If I had mentioned Disturbed. Would that get me a set of bath towels? I also like classical. Mozart is rather inspirational. My husband and I have around 40K songs in our collection.

I have a definite seasonal, emotional attachment to music. I think a good part of this is due to my parents' taste in music which ran the gamut from Bob Dylan to classic showtunes. Summer cooking for me is best suited for, what I consider, easy and bright music. I have an oldies mix on my iPod that love. Songs from the Supremes, the Jackson Five, 5th Dimension as well as music from the Turtles and other bands/singers of the 60's and 70's would be included.

When autumn and winter rolls around, I find myself drawn to lush orchestral arrangements found in artists like Ella Fitzgerald and Barbra Streisand.

I don't want to say that I am stuck in the past. I do love Gaga and many other current artists. And on the non-musical front, I love NPR podcasts such as Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, The Splendid Table, This American Life, and On the Media.

Mattcooper, the Turtles qualify as way cool. Wonderful harmonies combined with intentionally ridiculous lyrics. Now, if you really want to get your house TP'ed bring up America and "Horse With No Name". It's on every critic's list of dumbest songs ever written.

Cakes

I went through a George Clinton phase. "I'll take some fries with that shake."

I absolutely love George Clinton and the whole Parliament/Funkadelic thing. Bootsy! "Free your mind and your ass will follow."

Smokin_tokyo

Well, I'm going London for the next 2 weeks. Stones, Elton John, Adele, Amy Winehouse, Queen, Yes, George Michael, even a little Eurythmics.

I like to listen to the food prep--chopping, dicing, sizzling, boiling, crackling... I cook by sound, smell, and touch.

Photo

Chris Issak and Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits.

My mom would always listen to them while cooking dinner when I was growing up. I guess it's genetic!

I love music, but find it distracting while cooking. Often I have my children cooking with me. There is something special about having us all in the room, not a word being spoken, and the sound of chopping, tasting, sizzling, wisking, and the occasional giggle.

I am the same when I run or bike, I love the sound of my heart pumping in my ears and my breath.

Funny- I love listening to music when I cook by myself or with my husband, but when my three year old helps she eventually insists on HER music which means we are all cooking to HELLOOOOO EVERYBODY! and I want to stab myself. We do take turns, but it takes a toll!

Food52

for me its classic rock and 80's rock. Pandora does a pretty good job at selecting a playlist of the day for me.

Elliott Smith is a must!

Elliot Smith! Didn't I just say that? Bring on "Ballad of Big Nothing".

Logo-fb

Pandora Stations: Luke Bryan Radio, Otis Redding Radio, and Rolling Stones Radio!

weekend breakfast = reggae. :)

Classic rock radio, like Chicago's The Drive, streamed into my NH kitchen on my Internet radio.

Edith Piaf, Sinatra, Thomas Tallis, Nina Simone. You can't beat disco either!

2010-09-15_14.22.07

Love Tallis!

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Is the Thomas Tallis you're referring to the organist of the Royal Chapel during the reigns of four English monarchs (Elizabeth I being the last)? If so, I'm rather fond of his music, too, but I've never cooked to it. I'm quite a fan of the Tallis Scholars, which a writer for "The New York Times" described as "The rock stars of Renaissance vocal music." ;o)

Imag0276

I love listening to Citizen Cope.