🔔
🔎

Veggie side dishes for Indian meal

I'm making an Indian lamb curry, and I'm looking for something fresh, light, and vegetable-based to go along with it.

asked by linzarella over 2 years ago

In Suvir Saran's Indian Home Cooking, he recommends serving Stir Fried Green Beans with Coconut, Chilled Smoky Eggplant with Yogurt and Cilantro, or Stir-Fried Mixed Summer Squash. Some of these require frozen curry leaves which are readily available at Indian markets. I haven't tried googling the recipes, but if you need one let me know and I'll copy it out for you.

Headshot

The green beans sound perfect! If you really don't mind, I would love the recipe - thanks for offering.

Here it is. I know it seems like a million ingredients, but many of them are optional. I always keep frozen curry leaves, black mustard seeds and dried red chiles on hand. My local Indian market sells amazingly fresh and equally amazing inexpensive ingredients. I store the non-perishable spices in glass jars.

Stir-Fried Green Beans with Coconut (adapted slightly from Indian Home Cooking by Suvir Saran and Stephanie Lyness)

Serves 4

3 tbs canola oil
2 tsps yellow split peas
1 tbs black mustard seeds (Optional)
1 teaspoon hulled gram beans [urad dal]; Optional)
3 dried whole red chiles
8 fresh or 12 frozen curry leaves, torn into pieces (Optional)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/8 tsp asafetida (optional)
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
3/4 lb green beans
1 tsp of salt or to taste
1/s
2 tsp saambhar or rasam powder (optional) 1 cup water

Combine the oil, yellow split peas, and mustard seeds, if using, in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Cook, stirring until the split peas turn golden brown. (If using the mustard seeds, cover because they pop and splatter. Cook until you hear them crackle)

Add the optional hulled black gram peas, the curry leaves (also optional) and cumin seeds and cook uncovered, stirring, an extra minute. Be careful if using the fresh or frozen curry leaves; they will spit when they are added to hot oil.

Add the optional asafetida, and 1/4 cup of the coconut and cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Add the green beans, salt, and cook.

Add the remaining 1/4 cup coconut, the optional saambhar or curry powder, and the water. Simmer covered until the beans are tender. About 10 minutes.

Uncover and cook. stirring frequently, until all the water has evaporated. Taste for seasoning then serve.

Sorry about the single paragraph recipe. I had typed it in paragraphs, but it posted as you see it.

Cucumber, Yogurt, Mint, (a touch of curry powder). Is a nice light side dish.

There are also other Indian salad recipes that include tomatoes and sliced cucumber as a side dish. Which is simply sliced and dressed with a vinegar based dressing, oil, and touch of cumin and mint.
Which really helps cutting the heaviness of a curry base main dish.

Don't forget the bread!! While you can make Naan and other Indian breads. If you have access to a good Indian market you can get those frozen (which are just fine)...Brush with Ghee and grill them before serving. (or broil). Ghee is available at market--but easy to make and great to have on hand. It stores very well even at room temp.

I like the cucumber riata idea.
Here's a basic recipe if you need.
http://www.epicurious.com...