🔎

Cooking or Entertaining Book Recommendations

For a birthday gift for a friend (female, 50's) who loves to cook and loves to entertain and who is renovating her kitchen, I'm looking for a food, cooking or entertaining book as a birthday gift for her. All suggestions are welcome. (sorry this isn't specifically about food, sort of)

P1291120
SeaJambon added over 1 year ago

Any of the Barefoot Contessa Books are great. I can think of a number of really fun/great cookbooks (my bookshelves are moaning with all the weighty tomes...), but Barefoot Contessa does a nice job of also hitting the "entertaining" part. You might also want to consider a subscription to either Fine Cooking or Cook's Illustrated (the latter especially if she has a geeky side).

How hip is your friend? If she can be on the edgy side I'd suggest a subscription to David Chang's wicked concoction "Lucky Peach". It's a quarterly publishd by McSweeney's. On the academic side another quarterly is "Gastronomica" published by UC Press.

chef of the future 2000 added over 1 year ago

Jamie Oliver has some great books and Cooks Illustrated best recipes is my go-to guide for lots of great dishes

Buddhacat
SKK added over 1 year ago

Beatrice Peltre: La Tartine Gourmande: Recipes for an Inspired Life This is her blog http://www.latartinegourmande... Love her recipes and her photography, as well as her writing.

Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago

I've always like Nigella Lawson for cooking and entertaining books.

I've met Nigella Lawson and can tell you that she is as beautiful and intelligent in person as she is on TV. She is one super smart woman.

Lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby added over 1 year ago

Ted Allen's book "In My Kitchen" is fairly new, so she may not have it yet...i like that he talks about not making something in 30 minutes, but when you are wanting to cook for friends because you enjoy it...its worth the time to do so!

Me_in_munich_with_fish
petitbleu added over 1 year ago

I really enjoy Big Small Plates by Cindy Pawlcyn. I'm not sure it's an "entertaining" book per se, but it does focus on small dishes that would be great served at any gathering. Some really fabulous ideas.

dazeyduke added over 1 year ago

Martha Stewart had a book that must be 20 or 30 years old called "Entertaining". I still use some of the menus and craft ideas when I entertain. It's a classic.

DebJ added over 1 year ago

Thank you all very much... great ideas here (and some for me, too)!