🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Mom's Blueberry-Coconut Muffins

071309f_0601

I have a question about the ingredient "coconut, toasted" on the recipe "Mom's Blueberry-Coconut Muffins" from Rhonda35. What is the best way to toast coconut? I have a small toaster oven, but I'm not sure what temperature to set it to.

asked by adwillis about 2 years ago

I prefer the stovetop method, if only because it encourages constant interaction. If I were as attentive to a pan in the oven as I am to a skillet on the stove, It probably wouldn't make much difference, but when the coconut never leaves my sight, I'm much less likely to singe it to a crisp.

400 degrees and 10 minutes wouldn't brown the coconut in my toaster over... it would burn it! Defintely try the pan....works great, esp. in a non-stick pan!

Me-72-dpi-cropped-sq

I usually toast coconut in my oven at a lower temp -- that way it gets a nice golden brown without burning. Try 300 to 325 degrees for 7-10 minutes. Shake pan or mix up with a metal spatula every 2-3 minutes to avoid burning. Credit for my method goes to my trusty Shelia Lukins cookbooks.

Lorigoldsby

I toast my large coconut shavings at 250...in my regular oven...toss every 5 minutes....it "browns" slowly because there is so much moisture in the coconut...if you are using the bag of sweetened coconut flakes...it needs to "dry out" before it can toast...that's why the stovetop method works as well.