🔎

A question about a recipe: Mom's Blueberry-Coconut Muffins

I have a question about the ingredient "coconut, toasted" on the recipe "Mom's Blueberry-Coconut Muffins" from Rhonda35. What is the best way to toast coconut? I have a small toaster oven, but I'm not sure what temperature to set it to.

071309f_0601
Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Doesn't really matter what temp (though it's faster if the temp is at least 350F) , just the amount of time under the heat. I suggest 400F for about 10 minutes, stir every minute or so for even toasting. Once you get to a light golden color, pull the coconut from the toaster and let it cool. The carryover heat will continue to toast the coconut and it could darken more. If the coconut darkens too quickly (like it's brownish), pull it from the toaster and immediately transfer to a cool bowl or plate to stop the cooking.

You can also toast coconut in a dry pan on the stovetop. Just make sure to use medium heat and stir constantly. Then transfer to a cool bowl when it's at a golden color.

adwillis added over 1 year ago

Thank you very much! The stove-top method is probably a better option for me. I've tried toasting pine nuts in the toaster oven and have always had pretty dismal results. I think I'll be far less likely to over-toast the coconut if it's right in front of me!

PhillipBrandon added over 1 year ago

I prefer the stovetop method, if only because it encourages constant interaction. If I were as attentive to a pan in the oven as I am to a skillet on the stove, It probably wouldn't make much difference, but when the coconut never leaves my sight, I'm much less likely to singe it to a crisp.

slewis2306 added over 1 year ago

400 degrees and 10 minutes wouldn't brown the coconut in my toaster over... it would burn it! Defintely try the pan....works great, esp. in a non-stick pan!

Me-72-dpi-cropped-sq
SusanRubinsky added over 1 year ago

I usually toast coconut in my oven at a lower temp -- that way it gets a nice golden brown without burning. Try 300 to 325 degrees for 7-10 minutes. Shake pan or mix up with a metal spatula every 2-3 minutes to avoid burning. Credit for my method goes to my trusty Shelia Lukins cookbooks.

Lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby added over 1 year ago

I toast my large coconut shavings at 250...in my regular oven...toss every 5 minutes....it "browns" slowly because there is so much moisture in the coconut...if you are using the bag of sweetened coconut flakes...it needs to "dry out" before it can toast...that's why the stovetop method works as well.