🔎

• 9

• 1768

Bushels of new Mexican hatch chiles

Two bushels of New Mexican hatch chiles arrived today from a friend in Texas via FedEx. I've roasted them. They are steaming in big brown paper bags. : Peel before freezing? And, most favorite recipes?

20090907-jackson-8
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

I'd peel before freezing. And here's a great recipe! http://www.food52.com/recipes...

20090907-jackson-8
jacksonholefoodie added over 1 year ago

Yes! I see many Devils on Hatchback all lined up like soldiers on movie nights this winter.

Tish S. added over 1 year ago

I am so jealous! I grew up in El Paso and love this time of year there with the huge roasters of green chile in the grocery store parking lots - best smell in the world! I always peel before freezing.

Yes Tish S, there is something wonderful about that smell. I just flame roasted some myself a couple of days ago. I love this time of year. The ones I bought have been really, consistantly hot. But you can't tell from looking at them which will be hot and which will be mild. The produce manager I work with told me that this batch would be hot but only the growers seem to know.

Stephanie G added over 1 year ago

Central Market roasts them for us, so we buy them by the pound. I put them in plastic bags and freeze ---I've never peeled them first. I'm pretty lazy. Green chili stew is my favorite recipe...or Deborah Madison's green chili potato gratin. Both recipes are on epicurious.

chef Lisa added over 1 year ago

I would not peel before freezing!

Cimg0737
cookinginvictoria added over 1 year ago

I also do not peel before freezing. Roasted chiles are very easy to peel once they have defrosted just a bit. There are a lot of excellent recipes for Hatch chiles on this site. I like to make this green chile with hatch chiles when I can source them(http://www.food52.com/recipes...) -- a recipe inspired by a dish my grandmother used to make. Aargersi's Salsa Asada is divine (http://www.food52.com/recipes...) -- perfect for the summer! I also love arielleclementine's Green Chile Country Gravy.

20090907-jackson-8
jacksonholefoodie added over 1 year ago

Thanks everyone, I am inspired. I roasted and peeled until midnight, but now I have an arsenal of ready-to-go hatches to get me through the winter. Salsa asada is first up on the agenda! And I do believe what Pierino says about the spiciness; my chiles vary tremendously on the Scoville scale, and the color does not give a clue to the heat. It's like playing hatch chile roulette.

Cumberland_pass_atv_trip_-_july_20__2013_019
JanetFL added over 1 year ago

Love Hatch chiles, too! I like to peel them before freezing so all I need to do when ready to use is defrost them. One of our favorites ways to use them is to slice them, lay on a flour tortilla, top with shredded cheese, and microwave until melted.