🔔
🔎

How_to_make_a_custard_part_1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

Flank steak is tough. It will never eat like a regular steak unless you're in Japan and it's Kobe Beef. I am not a fan of this cut of meat but, those who are slice it very thin and have strong jaws. I have known these people to marinate it for 2-3 days in the fridge.

Waffle3

The keys to that cut are to cook it for a very short time, over very high heat, medium rare max. It should have chew but it shouldn't be tough.

Alton Brown has a crazy technique for flank steak which involves setting the steak directly on the coals for the quickest possible sear. The first time I tried it, it wasn't until I was chewing on and subsequently spitting out crunchy black bits that it dawned on me -- I should have used lump charcoal. I'd grabbed the briquettes without thinking.

I agree with shauna on this one. It is one tough piece of meat unless you treat it with care. This is my korean style recipe for it http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Putting those bias slashes on does help at least a little bit.

And ChefOno, buddy, what the hell are you doing even owning briquettes?

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

I love flank and agree with Chef Ono above. You can try again with skirt with better results. Curious about your marinade.

Waffle3

Okay, Pierino, here it is: I use briquettes.

I gave up lump charcoal after sparks burned numerous holes in our redwood deck and through more than one good shirt. I've since found briquettes to be far less expensive, more consistent and controllable, and they have a longer burn time (which comes in quite handy for smoking). They're also more versatile -- all it takes is a handful of wood chips of the species of your choice to match whatever you're cooking. I keep hickory, apple, red oak and kiawe on hand.

I know you're going to think less of me but, hey, at least it's not propane?

Dsc_0048b

there are many other less expensive cuts you can try that are less though than flank. I like flat iron and try tip.

Thanks everyone! I used this recipe from epicurious: http://m.epicurious.com...

I definitely cut it against the grain though I'm thinking I didn't slice it thin enough. Next time I think I'll try skirt steak instead.

Baci1

The recipe for the marinade seems to lack an acid (which would help with tenderizing). Or you could also add an enzyme (i.e. kiwi fruit or papaya) to tenderize the meat.

Flank steak comes out tender and juicy when marinated in a vinegar-based marinade. I also marinade for 24 hours, minimum.

Wholefoods_user_icon

Acid marinades don't actually tenderize meat; they don't penetrate more than a few millimeters. All you will accomplish with a long soak in an acid marinade is to make the outside of the meat mushy. (They are good for flavor, since the flavor WILL stick to the surface, but they don't tenderize. Meat won't benefit from an acid marinade after 3-4 hours.)

Stringio

I'm from europe and the flank steak is pretty new to us, but I've had it a few times and I love the taste and texture. It has always been served as a steak and not a thinly carved roast but it has been far from rough. In fact what I love so much about this cut is the grainy texture. I want my steaks medium rare and do you think that's why I don't experience flank steaks to be tough?
FYI, This is a common steak in France and it's never marinated, only seasoned with salt and pepper

Look for a needle tenderizer either from amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Deni...
Or Academy Sports (in their outdoor cooking section where I got mine).

It make tougher *cheaper* cuts of meat tender and speeds up marinating and cooking time. Just don't over do it...unless you're making southern fried 'chicken fried' steak and gravy. Then just pound it flat and needle that sucker to death.

I use flank stead frequently for my BBQ salad recipe. The important thing is to slice it very thinly with your knife positioned against the grain as much as you can. The knife is held at a slanted position . It will result in a very tasty and not too tough cut of steak. I don't use much marinade and I cook it on the rare side. It will continue to cook a bit after it is cut.