What to do with tough flank steak?

We bought a (very expensive) flank steak from a purveyor at our farmer's market. Yesterday, I marinated it and grilled it. It was delicious, but very tough and chewy. I have about 1/2 of the steak left. Any suggestions on how to rescue a tasty but tough steak?

asked about 3 years ago
Wholefoods_user_icon

Are you slicing thinly across the grain?
Perhaps give it a rough chop and enjoy a nice Thai Pad Ki Mao. stir fry it with thai basil, onions, jalapenos, and some bean sprouts. finish with a sauce of broth and soy sauce, rice wine and a touch of cinnamon thickened with corn stach.
or
Rough chop and have taco or chili night.
or
braise until tender and shred it for ranchero tacos or make ropa vieja.
good luck and Cook On!

I agree with a good, slow braise. Make a simple bbq sauce, shred, make some aagersi's legendary pickled onions, serve on a crusty roll.

you can also pound it and if you want you can try docking it with a fork if you want to cook it less than well done. The most important thing though is slicing it across the grain and of course letting it rest.

The way I was taught to prepare UNCOOKED flank steak was to cut slashes in the top, on the bias. After that a soy sauce or wine based marinade. Onto the grill and thinly slice.

If you are referring to a piece you've already cooked then you might cut it into very small pieces with a sharp knife or poultry shears and use it in a pasta sauce, maybe even something "stroganoff".

I just noticed the tag "grass fed" which is possibly the main part of the problem. Good enough flavor but not enough fat.

I don't agree in chopping it up. As you said it was expensive and you do dishes that require chopping and adding to sauces or stir fry with much cheaper peices of meat. The only way I do flank steak is grilling and (as said by many) slicing across the grain and on a bias as well. If you don't mind marinating ( Not a big fan) then add a little pinapple juice to your marinade for 15 Min (not too long) and the acid will tenderize it. As pierino stated, grass feed is very lean. Good luck!

Sorry I see now. You want to know what to do with the other half. If it's cooked past medium rare (doesn't your husband like well done?) then I guess I would chop it up and add it to a dish that matches the flavor profile of the marinade.

Image

Thanks all. We definitely sliced it thin and across the grain, and let it rest first, and no ChefDaddy, we like our beef barely rare so it's not overcooked. Thanks for all the suggestions--I think I'll try the stir fry ideas.

the pineapple is actually a really smart idea, you can use papaya also. there is an enzyme in those fruits that breaks down meat. they actually sell pineapple "pills" used for exactly that purpose