what to do with leftover beets

I'm making a Barzcz for my Polish In-laws. I want to serve the broth with some mushroom raviolis which means that I also want to completely clarify my broth with a raft. This also means that I won't be serving the beets with the soup. It will be just the consume and the ravioli.

Any suggestions on what I can do with those simmered beets afterwards? I'll need to cut them up pretty small before adding to the stock. So think either thinly sliced disks, julienne, small dice or even grated.

asked by Benny almost 2 years ago

Right away I'm thinking red flannel hash.

Food52

I've never heard of this until now. A quick google search and now I'm definately gonna give this a try. If not this time, then in the future. I make a lot of barzcz during the winter so I'll have ample opportunity. Thanks for the idea :D

Jc_profilepic

Chocolate cake?

I know it sounds obvious but puree the beets to make a base for borscht, and freeze it? It would be wonderful to have a vivid magenta soup on a winter day, a few months from now.

Food52

Typically, I would just chop up the beets and keep them in the broth and add some potatoes and a spoon full of sour cream. In this instance, however, I'm showing off and doing a clear consume with the ravioli which is why I now have the simmered beets as a by-product. Pureeing these beets would provide little benefit to a future Barzcz since 90% of the red pigment has already been simmered out.

N768884774_851343_4507

I've also been stumbling upon many beet and quinoa salads...

N768884774_851343_4507

Food52

Nice, I'll have to look up some of these recipes. thanks!

Pickle them with sliced onions.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

Benny, I was going to send you a private message about procurring great radishes and new restaurants arounnd Stamford, Darien, Westport & New Canaan. Let me know.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet